Sewing progress

These past couple of weeks I've been working on some sewing projects. After so many years of pledging to do so, last year I finally took the plunge and started sewing. But, as it often happens, I have been focusing on other projects and haven't dedicated much time to it. In fact, I haven't done anything since October, when I saw the tank top. But then, a couple of weeks ago, I started working on something, and I've been in a sewing mode up until today. 

I still sew at quite a slow pace, so it's just 3 garments that I've sewn in roughly 2 weeks. I haven't spent every single day sewing, as I have real life stuff to take care of, but I've tried to invest as much of my spare time as I've possibly could. 



The very first garment that I saw was those knickers/panties that you can see in the photo above. I'm working on a project with Atelier ni Shasha and that's one of the things that we made. Once the full project is finished, I'll write a dedicated post, but for now this is a "sneak peek". This is what put me in a "sewing mode" for these past weeks, and made me want to keep practicing. 

Because I wanted to get better at it, I decided to make a second one in a different color, so I went with this yellow fabric. Unfortunately, the fabric doesn't work well for this project, as it's quite see-through, and you can see the seam allowance. Also, as you manipulate it, it becomes "fuzzy", maybe due to the fact that this was  a quite old pajama bottoms. It wasn't very worn out, it had just been sitting in a drawer for years. 


However, construction wise, I'm quite happy with the work that I did. My stitching is getting better, and it fits the doll pretty well. Shasha made the pattern all by herself, as I am not skilled enough yet to come up with these type of patterns. 




For my third item, I wanted to re-do the tank top I did, but in another color, so I went for the same minty green I used for the first briefs. Right off the bat, I can tell you that the neckline and the straps aren't even. If you fold it in half, the difference is barely there, but because it's such a tiny garment, it's quite obvious. I also made the straps slightly shorter, so maybe that contributes to it being more obvious. 



Despite the flaws, overall I think I did a better job than with the first one. The stitches look better, specially around the armhole, where I did such a sloppy job last time. The seam allowances and the inside of the garment look neater too. It also doesn't look as bad with the cover-up on. 



Much like what happens with crafting, as I keep sewing I keep getting ideas for future projects. Some of those ideas are way too ambitious for my current skills, but others seem easier. But, as for now, I'm going to take some breaks from sewing sessions and dedicate some time to other projects. I've been so focused on this that I haven't taken photos in almost 2 weeks. Neither have I worked on any craft projects, and I have all of those colors I got for Christmas waiting to be used. 

My next post is going to be a photo compilation, but it will be a short one since I've barely taken any photos these past two months. I've also taken some photos for a doll review, but I wasn't very inspired, so I might have to give it another try.

I hope you're all doing well, and I'll see you soon

Monster Crafts.


You may also like:

Comments

  1. Your doll clothes look amazing. :) I love how they turned out.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for keeping on with the sewing. You learn something even if a project is not perfect, that will help you next time. Enjoy your crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! That's true, mistakes are just part of the learning process. Crafting will have to wait a few more days, as I have another sewing session tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. You're doing great. Don't worry if you sew slowly, you're less likely to make mistakes if you take your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael. True, but I hope I can get a bit faster as I get more practice. It takes me forever to make one simple garment.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Linda! I told myself that even Mattel factory garments are asymmetrical, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Plus, it can be hidden with her hair and posing. I do love the color too! I recycled one of my partner's old t-shirts, which turns out to be the most colorful one he's ever owned.
    Big hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did an amazing job. Doll clothes are really hard to made due to their size. But even if the stitches are uneven, be sure to take an iron and a "pressing cloth" (a piece of cotton fabric sprayed with a little water) and give your garments a really good pressing. You won't even notice the stitches in the photos because everything will look perfect. Love the little panties and top...BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April. I was very naive when I thought that, since they're smaller, they would be easier, but turns out it's the opposite. That's a fabulous advice, I've never thought about using a pressing cloth.
      Thank you so much for your kind words, it really means a lot.

      Delete
  6. Looking good! You did very well and practice makes wonders. I think it is hard to sew small outfits to Barbies and tiny dolls, so much easier to make to larger dolls. I would love to learn to make patterns. And read those knitting patterns too. Wanted to knit a pullover to my Barbie, it ended as a jumper to my Narsha BJD. Could just laugh about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! I don't know if you follow her, but April (Fashion Doll Stylist) has a great blog and maybe you can find some advice there to start creating your own patterns. I think that mistakes are part of the process and we just need to look at the bright side of it. At least you were able to use it for another doll.
      Sorry it took me a while to reply, I haven't been feeling great these past few days and haven't been able to reply to comments on time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson

The return of Monster High