Wainscot for warm and cozy scenes

Hello again! Happy December! I can't believe Christmas is right around the corner. I still haven't made anything Christmas related, but to be fair, I'm not feeling very inspired to take Christmas themed photos or make any Holiday crafts. I had fallen behind some of the craft projects I wanted to do this fall, and this one in particular I couldn't resist making before the end of the year. 


Those who visit my blog often already know that I've been making removable wainscots to add some diversity to my otherwise plain backgrounds. I've already made one in dark gray and another one in a bright coral, but I wanted to do something warm inspired by fall colors. Fun fact, this was meant to be done around late October-early November, but here we are in December. That's why I've had to change the title from "Fall scenes" to "warm and cozy". Since I've already done this twice, I won't go into much detail of the process, but I'll write down the sizes of everything. If you're new here and need further information on the process, make sure to check out my previous posts and ask me any questions you might have. 

We're using the same supplies as usual:

  • Binding cardboard/gray cardboard.
  • A cutter with a sharp blade.
  • A glue stick and white glue. 
  • Gesso or another primer.
  • Craft paint and brushes.
  • A cereal box.
I made the big piece 16,5 cm tall and the width is the same as my wall. The top trim is 1,5 cm and the bottom one is 2 cm. In inches, that would be 6,5 inches tall for the base piece. The top trim would be 0,59 inches and the bottom one 0,79 inches. In this photo all pieces have been cut, primed and glued together using white glue.



I made the vertical slats/ sticks 1,2 cm wide (0,47 in). I always make them by cutting stripes out of a cereal box and gluing them together. This time I'm going to glue 3 pieces instead of the usual 4, to give it a bit more raise. Make sure to sand the edges to make them smooth.



I also left a smaller distance between them, 9 cm (3,5 inches). In this photo below, the vertical sticks are glued and ready to paint. 



I painted it using the color Burnt Orange by Americana Acrylics. I got it mainly because it was quite different to the colors I usually go for, and ever since I bought it I had been dying to use it.


The color is a bit more patchy than I expected. On the right corner, you can see how it looks with two coats, and the rest is just one coat.


Once I was done, I took a photo of the new wainscot next to the other two, so you can see the differences between all three designs. It is so fascinating to me how different colors and a couple of tweaks here and there can give a different vibe to them. 



I took a few pics with it to see how it would look like. With two coats you can still see some patchiness, but I don't think it looks that bad.


Because I hadn't started taking Holiday pics yet, I decided to include a miniature tree that lights up in some photos. To be fair, I didn't take as many photos as I usually do with my craft projects, but you'll see more photos with it in future posts. 


The wall on all of my photos is the same. It's the color Light Mocha by Americana, but it does look slightly different in some photos. 


I hope you guys enjoyed this semi-tutorial on this wainscot. I personally really like how it looks, it is quite different to what I usually go for. I have a couple more designs in mind, but for one I wanted to use popsicle sticks and, after my hardwood floor adventures, I decided to postpone it for a while. But before that, I want to make another one in this design and paint it in the color Light Periwinkle by Folk Art, that you can see in the photo below. 



I don't think I'll do any more craft projects before Christmas, unless it's something very quick and small. The main reason for that is that I'm hoping to get some new colors as a Christmas/Three Wise Men gift, so I want to wait until then to start planning for future projects. You know, a new color might give me a new idea. But hopefully I'll be back right before Christmas with some Holiday themed photos.

Hope you're all doing well and enjoying the start of the holiday season.

Monster Crafts.


Comments

  1. Well, technically we are still in the autumn season. Heck, around here there are still some leaves clinging to trees. I want to make wainscot for a living room diorama, but I think that mine might be made out of wood. Your little tree is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I did think the same, but since Christmas and winter are right around the corner, I do still feel like I'm late to the party, as usual. I also do want to make a wooden wainscot using some tiny wooden mouldings I saw at the DIY store. I'll keep an eye to your blog to see yours, so maybe I can get some inspiration.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! I haven't tried it much yet, but I do feel it will look good with lots of neutral shades. I made a long list of colors I like, but I don't know exactly which ones I will get, so I'm really impatient to see them.

    A while back I used one of those individual table clothes as a floor, because it does look as a rug. It was quite similar to this one from Casa. I don't think it would look "too seventies", but that depends on the design. I've even seen some of these that look like concrete, marble or even Portuguese tile. While you make up your mind, you could use one of those as a temporary floor. The miniature tree is also from Casa, I buy a lot of my Christmas decor there.

    You too, have a great month. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and great tutorial with an amazing result. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! Americana has some great colors that look very realistic.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson