It's the most wonderful time of the year

It's that time of the year again! I'm not gonna lie, I love Christmas decor and seeing all the stores and streets light up. I love walking around the city and seeing the Christmas trees through some  windows and the decorated balconies.  This is the third year in a row that I've tried to bring some Holiday cheer to my 1/6 world. 


Truth is that this year I haven't been very inspired to take Holiday photos and I started much later than usual. It's not just Holiday photos, but recently I have lost inspiration when it comes to doll photography. On top of that, my ring light broke the day I was going to start taking Christmas photos. It's fixed now, but it did mess up with my plans a lot. 

For this first batch, I used my Sea Glass wall and the same Christmas tree I had last year to take some photos. I didn't have a theme for them, just the dolls posing. The photo above with Tate on it also has the same background. 



I wanted to try a different color for the background, so I went with the Blush Pink wall. The tree and the ornaments have stayed the same, as it is part of my home Christmas decor. It is too big for the dolls, but it does look quite realistic. I haven't found one yet that's smaller, but big enough for me to be able to put lights and mini ornaments on it. 


I've had this doll for years, and just this week I unboxed her. This is the second one I bought, because the first one was so wonky that I had to buy a second one and return the first. Her eyes could still be better, but the other one was so bad that this one looked fine to me at that time. 


I was so disappointed in her that I didn't unbox her for years, but a while back I felt the urge to do so, mainly because her accessories and outfit are pretty great. 


While my ring light was broken, I took a few photos of my dolls using natural light and my own Christmas tree as a background. Natural light can do wonders, but it also limits the moments you can take photos. 


I also had to take all the photos from the same spot, as the ones I tried to take from a different angle didn't have the best lightning, so that's why all look quite similar. 



Those are all the Holiday photos I have taken for now. If I take any more festive pics, I'll share them on my next Photo Compilation, which should be up at some point in early January. I don't think there'll be loads of new photos as, like I mentioned, I haven't been very inspired lately. 

Wish you all a happy Holiday season, regardless of what you celebrate, and a happy 2022. I won't be very active over here these next few weeks, but I hope you'll all staying safe and healthy. See you soon!

Monster Crafts


Similar posts: 

'Tis the season (Holidays 2022): https://themonstercrafts.blogspot.com/2022/12/tis-season.html

Comments

  1. Thanks Linda! Just as I was grabbing the doll to take the first photo, I heard a "clack" noise. It was the part that holds the ring to the tripod, so luckily it could be fixed with some patience and a very strong glue.

    The tree looks fine, but it's very bulky. It's 40cm tall and quite wide, so it takes most of my diorama space. It's from Casa (I swear they don't sponsor me), so if you go there you might see it in person. Next week we're going to some decor shops to see if we can find some Christmas decor on sale that could work for the dolls.

    Compared with the first one I had, this one is OK. The issue for me is not so much that her eyes aren't 100% even, but rather the lack of expression on her face. I have other dolls that don't have symmetrical eyes (my BMR curvy doll), but they're way more expressive. I think this seems to be an issue with this sculpt, as others I've seen seem to have the same deadpan expression.

    You too have a great time this Holiday season. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos, I personally like the first one (I am wondering what type of Ken doll he is...), and the fifth one. :)

    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinley! He's from the second wave of the BMR1959 line. He has a Made to move body and a new sculpt. If you go back to my posts from February, I did review him.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos! The light is good and I know how it can be over here in the northern hemisphere at the moment - the daylight is almost nothing and you really need some artificial light that can bee too bright or too soft. Winter season is rather hard to take great photos over here, if you are not lucky with some hours of sunlight and blue sky.

    The doll you just unboxed - I remember her when she came to the stores. She was on my wishlist because of the outfit and the special look she has. I think that the eyes are okay, even if they are a bit closer to each other compared with other dolls. But she is overall a beautiful doll.

    Enjoy the holidays! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! I am lucky because my living room faces south and I get a lot of sunlight in the morning. Also, we had a few sunny days in a row that I could take advantage of.

      She catched my eye because of how different she was, but the quality control was not there. I must say that her outfit feels good quality and her hair is amazing.

      I hope you've had an amazing Holiday week and wish you a happy 2022!

      Delete
  4. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! Lighting is very hard this time of year for me as well. I have a broken ring light that I use too as the only time I have these days is at night when everyone is in bed! I hope your photo inspiration comes back soon. I have so many photos backed up on my computer I'm trying NOT to take any photos until I catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farrah! I also hope you had an amazing Christmas time. I'm lucky to have good natural light in my house, but now in winter is more limiting, specially if you only have time at night. Yesterday I was feeling a bit more inspired and managed to take a few photos, but still not as inspired as I used to.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Feliz Navidad! Lo siento que no he escribido en tu blog antes de ahora. I got absolutely no doll related stuff done in time for Christmas, but I had a very nice Christmas Eve and Day. Hope that you did as well. Me encantan tus fotos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Barb! No te preocupes. That's great Spanish, by the way. I almost didn't get to take Holiday photos, but I kind of forced myself to do it. I did have a nice Christmas times, despite the limitations due to you-know-what. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. MC, I am so late this year. When I returned from France I could not seem to catch up. My Advent Calendar took more time than usual, which added to the problem The days seemed to rush by and I became further and further behind. So my resolution is to get back on track, with both my blog and my reading list! Bravo to your wonderful photos. The Christmas tree in the background looks so real. I like how you blurred the background which made the doll look more prominent. I hope you had a lovely holiday season. I got all my dolls dressed for their annual New Year's Eve Ball. They are still partying and won't let me change them back into their daytime clothes for another couple of weeks!!!! Happy New Years to you and your doll family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! If it makes you feel better, I haven't been able to catch up these past two weeks and I've barely been on my computer these past few days (that's why it's taking me so long to reply).
      The tree is a bit too big, but it's the closest thing I've found to a full-size tree. Over here people very rarely get natural trees, so all of ours look like that.
      I hope you had an amazing time in Paris and wish you a happy 2022.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson

The return of Monster High