Unboxing Barbie Fashionistas and some photo experiments

Hi there! How is everyone doing?

Lately I haven't been very inspired to work on posts for this blog or do anything doll-related. It's not that I don't have ideas, but I haven't been able to put them in order or focus on a project. I think I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the things I want to do and write about. Also, a couple of projects and ideas haven't turned as I expected them to turn, which is always very frustrating. Anyway, I've managed to find a little bit of time and concentration to write this post.




To be honest, I almost didn't write this post. When I took the photos of the dolls, I was having an off day or something and I wasn't happy with the results. But then I went on a little weekend escapade to Madrid with Mr. Monster and, when we came back, I was feeling more inspired. Also, while we were there I bought some stuff for doll photography that I will show you on future posts. But let's talk about this dolls. 

Here we have Barbie Fashionista number 87 Rockstar Glam and Fashionista number 107 Malibu. I've had Rockstar Glam sitting on her box for almost a year, and I recently bought Malibu on Amazon at a lower price than usual. I also noticed that now the Fashionistas have a new box design, that is probably cheaper to produce because it doesn't have the word "Fashionistas" embossed on it. We know that Mattel likes to cut corners. If they only cut corners on packaging...



Here are the dolls out of the box.




Let's start wit Rockstar Glam. When I first saw her promo images, I thought she had a cute face. It took me a while to figure out which head sculpt was this, but thanks to Katti's Dolls, I found out this is a new head sculpt called Daya.



I also thought her hair was pretty cool, but the quality is terrible. At some point while taking photos, I gave her a quick wash and it looks a bit more decent. Since I don't post the photos in the same order that I take them, you may see a difference from pic to pic.



Malibu has 3 things that I like: the Skipper head sculpt, silver hair and a shaved side. She looks a bit of a mash up between the L.A Girl and Platinum Pop. Fun fact: if you go to the Mattel website, this doll is listed as "original with pink hair". PINK hair.




Her face paint lacks a bit of definition. If you look close, it looks like the printer they use for the faces was running low on ink. However, she looks OK on camera.

Glam's outfit looks like an oversized rock concert t-shirt. It looks lazy, but it has a realistic look to it.




Malibu's outfit looks pretty decent quality for what Mattel has us used to. The skirt has a print on the back, which is very rare nowadays in Barbie fashions.





As I told you above, a couple of projects didn't turn out as I expected. One of those was a lime green/citrus color background that I tried to get mixing a bright green with some yellow. I don't know what it was, but the coverage wasn't great and the background looks a bit streaky. It doesn't look that bad on camera.



I wanted to do this background because I thought it would match Glam's hair, but it seems to disapear against it.




The second craft that didn't turn out exactly as I expected was this splattered paint background. It doesn't look bad, but, on camera, it looks duller than I wanted to.



I also painted a cereal box in blue, and it looks so good on camera. This is the shade True Blue, from Americana Acrylics. You may have already seen this background on my Instagram in a few pics, like this one from the L.A. Girl



For a while, I wanted to have something that would bring some "volume" to the pictures. One of the things that I wanted to get is some sort of grid or room divider, that will add something to photo, but that still will allow to see the background. A couple of weeks ago, I found this sink mat that looks a bit like a garden fence. Since they were just 1€ each, I got one in white and one in turquoise. 




I taped the turquoise one to the wall, to see which kind of effect I could get. I had to hold it with one hand because it wouldn't stay flat, but I think it looks quite interesting.



Then I placed it further from the cardstock and took a pic of both dolls. Do you think it's too much?



This is how everything is placed for the photo.




And just for fun, here's a pic of Chloe with the white mat. This pic was taken days before I even started working on this post.



To be fair, I'm a bit disappointed on this two dolls. It's not about the quality (which I already expected not to be so great), it's just that I'm not feeling them. As I told you, some of this pics were taken before I went on holidays, and some were taken after. I did have more fun taking pics when I came back though, so maybe it was just that I had an off day when I unboxed them. 



Well, I hope you enjoyed this post. I thought this would be a quick one, but it's taken me forever to write it. Lately, if I've managed to find a couple of hours to write an edit one morning, I haven't been able to sit in front of my computer for two days. Plus, the fact that I'm getting distracted very easily and I haven't been able to focus. 

I had more or less planned out my next post, but a few days ago I found something that I can transform into Barbie furniture, so I think that will be a much more interesting post. I still need to get my hands on a few supplies that I need, but as soon as I have them I'll start working on it. Also, I still haven't made up my mind if I want to paint it in neutral colors (white, gray or taupe), or if I want to choose something more colorful like teal. Neutral colors will work with any diorama that I create, but colors are often more fun to photograph. Let me know what you think. 

That's all for me today, I hope I can come back soon with a craft related post.

Take care. 

Comments

  1. That was an interesting review/box opening MC. I'm not a fan of flocked hair so Malibu would never be of interest to me, but I do like Rockstar Glam, though I probably wouldn't purchase her either, mainly because I'm not a collector of Barbie.

    The idea of the sink mat was a great one, it makes a wonderful screen and of the two I prefer the white. I can see this working well in a diorama. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! Well, if you're not into Barbie dolls, there won't be many of them that catch your eye. There are always exceptions, of course.

      I got them thinking that they could be some sort of garden fancy fence. The problem is that, right in the center of the mat, they have a plastic label with the name of the brand. I didn't see until I got home, because the sticker was hiding it. It's something that can't be removed, as its molded into the mat. I still can use them, but I have to place my dolls in a way that little tag is not visible.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I also like the white mat better than the turquoise one. If you put vines up the mat, to go with the garden fence idea, would that hide the label?

    I can relate with not being able to focus. I hope that things pick up for you. Even if you have to force yourself to do a thing that you want to do, though, you often feel better after getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! If it's something quite thick, like an artificial pine tree branch, it probably could. I also have to figure out how to make it stay straight, as it has a tendency to curve.

      I'm glad to know I'm not alone. This week I'm doing better, I've got some things done and I'm already working on a new blog post. I do agree, you feel much better once you've finished something, and you can keep that "momentum" to start other projects.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you're having a rough patch. Don't be too hard on yourself, the backgrounds work fine for what they are supposed to do, even if you notice imperfections in real life. The sink mats are great. I like the effect in the first photo with them where some bluish light hits the doll on the same side where the mat is. It's like some disco neon lights.
    The dolls are gorgeous, you can always send them my way if you don't like them :D I loved Malibu at first before her bald spot appeared in promo pics, I still love her outfit and hair colour and I'm hoping for something similar but with full hair. I didn't even notice Rockstar before this review, does she have green streaks? Her face sculpt is SO pretty. I can't wait to see your furniture project too, I think it should be fun coloured. There's someone on YouTube who makes neutral dollhouses and they are cute but always the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! I have some good days and some not so great days. Life is a bit stressful at the moment for me. It's a bit frustrating when you've taken your time to do something, and doesn't turn out exactly as you wanted it to be, but at least you can learn something from the experience.
      I'm glad that you like the mats. I wasn't sure if the second pic with the blue mat was a bit too psychodelic. Actually, the hair on Glam is canary yellow, but it may be picking some green from the backgrounds. I've ended up painting the craft dark grey because, since I don't have any dioramas done yet, it would work with anything I end up making.
      Thanks for taking your time to coment in this and my previous post. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Can't lie, dark grey is one of my favourite colours. I'm looking forward to that project! I hope it was more fulfilling for you.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I think the project is going OK, but I haven't had much time to work on the post yet. Hope to have it ready for mid-late September. It's quite an easy craft.

      Delete
  4. I'm not into Barbie, but I do enjoy seeing them and seeing what other people do with them, they are very photogenic. I like the idea of the sink mat is very good, it does make a good backdrop.
    Your photos are always so nice and bright and colourful! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. Thanks, I'm glad you like my photos. The sink mat was also avaliable in hot pink, but last time I went to that store there weren't any left. I can always get another white one and spray paint it.

      Delete
  5. I wish that there would have been more Fashionistas during the time my daughters played with dolls. Or during my time as a youngster. Here it is so hard to get a hold on these dolls, but from time to time I have luck. I have always been the one who wants to go into a shop and look, pick and feel happy walking out.
    And to the backgrounds, the look just amazing. With those room dividers/grids, you can easily change the colors of the background paper/drop and hang on things - tiny flowers, pixie lights.....
    Take care and enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! To be honest, I think they make too many Fashionistas, and I wish they did less but with better quality fashions and articulation. Or that, at least, they made some in a more "deluxe" version and others with the stiff bodies. Here in Spain there are also hard to find sometimes, and often more expensive than in other countries. I'd love to find them in stores too, but sometimes I'm tired of wating and I get them on Amazon.
      I love the ideas for backgrounds that you mention. I will give them a try once I'm done with college.
      Take care you too!

      Delete
    2. And yet there are people complaining that Mattel still hasn't made this ethnicity of doll with this skin tone and hair style and body type, and on and on. I think Mattel is trying to make too many people happy.

      Delete
    3. Really? I think the Barbie line is more inclusive than ever! I do complain though that there aren't more Made to Move bodies avaliable in different body types and skin colors. That's what Mattel should be listening to. I feel that some of the Fashionistas have been designed with a random character generator. They put some head sculpts, skin colors and hair styles to choose from, and the program does the rest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Doll review: Barbie Looks model 12 (curvy)

How to make a doll TV that "works"