New doll: BMR 1959 Kira

Hi again! Sorry for such a long absence, but I've been busier than expected with college and life. I thought that, because I have fewer classes, I would have more time to play with dolls and post on the blog, but it turns out I don't. Plus, I'm trying to work out more, which takes part of my spare time. I'm making an effort to try to organize my time better, in order to be more productive, so I hope to be back with a more regular schedule soon. 

As I mentioned on my last post, I got the BMR 1959 Kira doll, and some of you seemed interested in a dedicated post. I've already reviewed the curvy one from this line in a previous post., in case you're interested in checking it out. As I mentioned in that post, the overall theme and aesthetic of the BMR1959 isn't my cup of tea, and I also find they're a bit pricey for their quality. So, I thought I would just get the curvy one and pass on the rest of the line, but for some reason the Kira one started appealing to me. So, I kept an eye on Amazon in case she went down on sale and I managed to get her for around 20€. 

BMR 1959 Wave 1 Kira

Just like all the BMR dolls, she comes in a cardboard box with a sketch of the doll on the front. The downside of this type of boxes is that you can't see the doll unless you open it. However, these boxes are great to store your dolls if you want to travel with them or go for an outdoor photoshoot. 


When I took her out of the box, I saw that the plastic piece that holds the doll from her waist was placed inside her dress and the dress was opened. I don't know the reason behind it, but wouldn't it be easier to put that piece on top of her dress? 

As soon as I take her out of the box and start taking photos, I start feeling quite disappointed in her. She's not posing really well and I'm having trouble taking photos that I really enjoy. 

The main reason why I wanted her is because she uses the Kira sculpt, which I love, and reminds me a lot of the Kira dolls that were produced in the 90s. I love how they've designed her face, with the green eyeliner and her eyelashes. 


Pretty much as the other BMR1959, I don't like the fashions. I do like the design of the jean jacket, but it looks too big and makes her look stiff. 

With her jacket off, we can take a look at her dress. Her dress reminds me of the Totally YoYo Skipper doll from the late 90s (check out the commercial). I was surprised by the fact that it has long sleeves, as more often than not, when a doll is wearing a jacket, she'll be wearing an sleevless top. The sleeves are quite tight, which makes it easier to wear a jacket on top, specially if it's baggy. The sleeves were pulled up above her elbow, which I found quite weird, since you can put her jacket back quite easily. 

The fabric of her dress feels super cheap and makes a moare effect on camera. I do love that particular shade of purple, one of my favourite colors. To try to switch things up a little bit, I used my "Sea Breeze" and added a purple accent piece. 

BMR 1959 Kira Blue and Purple background

I also found out that the top articulation of her elbows doesn't work, which is such a dissappointment. I have quite a few playline MTM dolls and none of them has this issue. This is a collector doll and she's priced accordingly, so I don't understand why we're paying more for cheaper quality. The idea of getting an extra one to use as a body donor crossed my mind, but luckily I didn't. My other BMR1959 also has an articulation issue, which I didn't notice until much later. 

Overall, I'm quite dissappointed in this doll. I did pay around 20€ for her, which is not bad, but I don't think she's worth 30€. I know that is pretty much what I said with the other BMR doll, but I find this one more dissappointing. At least with the other one I loved the photos that I got.

I did take a few pics of both BMR dolls using a new backround I made. I took a bit of time in the afternoons after studying to make it. I thought I could make more background pieces in the afternoon, after finishing studying for that day, but turns out I haven't done anything else and I'm not feeling very motivated. In case anyone is curious, this color is called "Orchid" and it's from the Acualux line I've used in several of my craft projects. Depending on the lightning, it looks more pinky or purple. I haven't tried it with the white wainscot yet, but I think it could look quite lovely and realistic. 

BMR1959 Curvy Pazette and Kira


I actually like the blue jacket on the curvy doll more, I feel it suits her better. Furthermore, it seems to work with her outfit quite well. 

BMR1959 dolls

I wish I could find more time to work on the blog during the school year. During weekdays, I feel so fed up with looking at my computer that I just can't  stare at my screen for another hour, so instead I use my spare time to work out or go for a walk. During weekends, I don't seem to be finding time to work on the blog either, as I've been quite busy with house chores and life in general. This post was meant to be up before the 12th of October and it's almost the end of October. Well, it is what it is. 


My next post is probably going to be another photo compilation, because I don't think I'll find time to work on anything more elaborate. I've  managed to take a few new photos during this school year, plus I have a bunch of older pics that I hadn't published before. Hope I can have it up in early November.

So what have you guys been up to? Any doll news? 


Monster Crafts

PS. I did see the new Monster High collector Grady Twins and Pennywise right after I published my post. I'm not really willing to pay that much for them, specially now that I have cut my budget down. If anything I would get the Grady Twins. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for your post. No need to apologize. School has to come first.

    I am just happy that folks are still managing to post during these very challenging times. I enjoy escaping into the safe world of dolls.

    I think the new doll looks pretty. I understand what you mean about the outfit. It seems a bit long to me. I would not what to have to take the arms out of the sleeves and then try to get them back in.

    I like the colors you used in your photo backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy! School most definitely comes first, but I wish I could juggle everything. I do agree, dolls offer an scape to the doll world. Unfortunately for me, I haven't had much time to read other posts either.

      Her face looks pretty, but I'm not loving her as much as I think I would. Looking at some of the close ups I really like her, but something feels off. The dress is terrible and the fabric is a bit sheer. If you look closely, in some of the pics you can see her flesh through the fabric.

      Thanks, I'm glad you like the colors. I tried to do something bright and fun, but I wasn't sure if it would work out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we all do get busy and I can imagine how busy you must be with school and all. I have so much to do, but haven't had the motivation lately. I guess the COVID isolation is getting to me. Anyway, I would concur with your review on this doll. Did you notice that her skintone has a yellowish hue to it? I am not a big fan of that since they don't make other dolls with that tone. Also, her hairline is very weird. You mentioned a problem with the upper elbow joint not moving. I have had that on a few dolls. Just warm it up a bit, you can do it by wrapping your hand around it. Then bend it and put a little pressure on it and it should free up the joint. Works for me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis! I'm not very motivated either. I'm also having some trouble focusing on reading, I don't seem to be retaining information. Maybe it's the pandemic, maybe it's the fact that I was supposed to be graduating in June and my brain didn't get the memo that we're doing this for one more semester.

      I did notice the yellowish hue in some of my photos, but I thought it was an issue with my lightning. I spent quite a lot of time wondering what was I doing wrong. In the ones with the blue background her skin tone looks more cool toned because I played with the color setting from my phone. It's a shame, since many people would have bought a spare one to use her as a body donor.

      Thanks for the tip for fixing the joint, I will try to fix them. One of them looks so tight that it seem like if the pieces of plastic had melted together. I hope that's not the case.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Lo siento que no te gusta este muneca. Posibilimente puedes vender la ropa solamente, si quieres tener la muneca?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Barb. If anything, I would sell her dress because the jacket is nice. The doll is cute, but I think that the yellow undertone Phyllis mentioned may be the reason I don't like how she's coming across in the photos.
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I think you got a good deal for her. I have only seen the curly blonde around here, and she was literally priceless (but judging from the place on the shelf, I'd guess 50-70$). But in the series you have to pick an interesting face because the outfits are horrendous. Kira is one of the more special ones. I even kind of like the dress, if the text was blacked out. Thanks for the review. I also like the pink background, it reminds me of my universal purple wall from the old apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BlackKitty! I hope you get to find a good deal if you're really interested in one. For the first time, their retail price in Spain was the same than in America, so I have hopes for other countries.

      I do agree, their faces is what sets the deal for me. Believe it or not, lots of people seem to love the fashions, which makes me feel that I'm missing something...

      I'm glad you like the color. It came out a bit darker than I expected, but I think it looks nice. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. It seems everyone but me is into these dolls lately ... congrats on bringing her home MC even though she doesn't excite you as much as your other dolls. Perhaps a change of clothes will help.
    I understand the screen overload, I get like that myself sometimes and I don't spend all day on it.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu. I know what you mean, when everyone is into something and you seem to be only one left out. I felt like that at the beggining, when I thought this were hideous and everyone was going gaga for them. To be honest, I don't care as much for them as a line or a concept, but I do like some of their faces, which is what ultimately makes or breaks if I'm getting a doll.

      My issue with the screen is that, for ecology reason, my college doesn't have printed books anymore, so all the books are in digital format, which ads screen time.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Well.... I don't collect these dolls, but she does have an interesting face. I really don't understand why Mattel continues to produce dolls with stiff bodies. Yes you can always re-body her, but why should you have to!?! The clothes are not my style, but if the length of the dress is what bothers you, why don't you fold it up at the hem to see if the same dress in a shorter version helps. If it does, you can then cut and hem it. If it doesn't...then sell the dress. Getting back to the doll's face... my friend, Olla (https://barbie-fashionistas-foto-blog-olla123.blogspot.com/) has a way of making each doll her own by changing the hair and putting the doll in a new outfit. You can also "play" with her makeup with the help of a cotton swab and chalk pastels. It's non-committal so when you're finished, just wipe everything away. But the chalk pastel is like makeup that we humans use on our faces. In any case, I think all of us here, understand how school right now is a challenge. So whenever you can post, we'll all be patient enough to wait! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! She does have a beautiful face, she reminds me a lot of the 90s Kira dolls, that's why I got her. I do understand that they need to produce a few stiff dolls to have some budget products, but almost everything playline is stiff. From each batch of Fashionistas, they could make at least half of them articulated for a few dollars more and leave the rest stiff.

      The dress isn't my style in general, regardless of the lenght. I really do see the need of start making my own doll clothes, as the ones Mattel is putting out aren't my style, neither seem to be avaliable in my area. I actually have a couple of your posts bookmarked for when I finally do so.

      I have thought about changing the doll's makeup. A blogger called Bonequea also does that, but she uses real makeup product such as blush or eyeshadow. It was a post idea that I had planned out, but sadly I have more ideas than time.

      Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  7. It is always a bit like that, I just get one of these dolls in this collection and before you know it - you have a bunch! :) And no need to apologize, life is life and it can take over sometimes. It is important to prioritize.
    Congrats on getting home Kira. She is beautiful and even if I like her clothes a lot, the fabric seem so stiff on the jacket. It is the same with Pazette and her jacket in plastic. A softer fabric, in white would have been much better. Especially for being a collector's doll, Mattel needs to think about the joints and details. It is a bummer that you feel a bit disappointed with Kira. Hope that she can grow on you. She was not so pricy. If I would buy this doll here in Sweden, it would cost me 40 USD. Some shops have her for around 30 USD.
    Thanks for the review! Enjoy the new week ahead and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Sorry for taking so long to reply. My life is over the place right now and I don't seem to be able to take control of it at the moment.

      I do agree about Pazette's jacket, it was too stiff and some some other sheer material would have worked better. This one is not bad, but I wish the sleeves were shorter. If I ever learn how to sew, I'd love to make another version with shorter sleeves. I also agree, Mattel's quality is worse and worse everyday and they should pay more attention to what they put out, specially in their collector line.
      Hope you enjoy your weekend ahead too.

      Delete
  8. PS: Have seen the Grady Twins and Pennywise too - would be lovely to own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe a limited ammount would be avaliable on other retailers, and maybe even Europe.

      Delete
  9. Hi Linda. Yes, sometimes it happens, and it's such a bummer. However, I hope that if I redress her and pose her next to my other dolls I will start liking her more. Fun fact, I also got the redhead boy in the collection, my partner bought it as a gift after I wrote this review. He's still in the box, and I'm hoping not to feel the same way about him.
    I'm not crazy about the new Monster High dolls, but I hope this means they'll do a comeback in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy