Photo compilation: February 2021

Wow, another month has gone by, and it's time for yet another photo compilation. I wanted to do a separate post for February because I wanted to challenge myself to post one photo every single day on Instagram and work on some new photos. I have succesfully  managed to do so, however I've used quite a few photos that I had previously posted on the blog, so it's not worth posting them here again. At some point I started feeling quite uninspired to take doll photos. Despite having finished school, I've been keeping myself very busy: I've joined an HTML course, have been doing some paper work and job seeking, plus now I have two blogs to create content for and promote. I think that somehow I've run myself a bit thin and that has drained my creativity juices a bit. 

The month started off pretty well. After publishing some photos from my New wainscot design post, I wanted to use it again for a few more pics. The idea behind these photos is "Stay at home". At the time I took them, the situation where I live was looking quite ugly, and we were encouraged to stay at home. So, I dressed my doll Victoria in some cozy clothes and took a few pics. 



I used this photo for an Instagram event called #dollweekendplans, hosted by @sassie_dolls. Each week, from Friday to Sunday, you can post your pics of your dolls of what they're doing that weekend. This weekend, my dolls were planning to stay at home and watch some TV. I took this as an opportunity to showcase the doll TV I made some years ago and have barely used since. 


Sometimes I don't have a theme for a photoshoot, but rather a color scheme I want to use. Inspired by both Victoria's sweatshirt and some photos I took for #monday4dolls (see them here), I combined my light blue wall and some colorful crates to create a fun set up.



The blue crate is a new addition to the crate family. One day, out of the blue (no pun intended), I decided I wanted to make a blue crate and went for it. The color I used is True Blue from Americana Acrylics


I had 4 photos that I liked and, because I like to post my photos in sets of 3, I decided to take two more photos with other dolls that would match the theme. These are the pics I liked the most.





At this point I started losing the inspiration. I don't know exactly what it was, but I just simply wasn't in the mood for photos, I just wanted to craft. Luckily, I had a few photos of my vitiligo doll that I took back in January, when I finished college. 




This doll doesn't have a name, so I'm looking for suggestions. I thought of calling her Winnie, like the model, but I just don't think it suits her. 



I also ended up publishing some pics from my BMR 1959 Tate review, including this pic that I didn't include in the original post.


Towards the end of the month I took a few photos to join #monday4dolls. After a few weeks of not feeling inspired by the theme, I finally managed to join. The theme was "white", which could be interpreted in various ways. I didn't want to make an all white background, so I took my brand new green wall, a white dress and some white furniture to match my photos to the theme. 


I made this wall around the 8th-10th of February, and it took me until the very end of the month to start using it. I used the color Sea Glass from Americana Acrylics. It looks more muted than I expected, but it looks pretty and realistic. Furthermore, I feel like this type of sage/jade colors are quite trendy right now. 



I took a few more with this new wall, but bringing in more dolls. I was so uninspired that I really didn't know what to do, so I just started taking random shots of the dolls in different poses.


Some people say this doll looks like Jason Blossom, from the Archie Comics universe. What do you think?

BMR 1959 Tate




I hope you guys enjoyed this post. I know the photos are a bit of a hit or miss, but I'm quite happy with some of them. Currently, I'm working on some doll furniture and that should be my next post, unless something goes south. I've also seen that Monster High is meant to come back, and I thought of writing an opinionated post about it. I thought about posting it before this one, but I didn't want to rush it and really have time figure out how I really feel about it. 

I hope you are all doing well, and I'll see you in my next post.

Monster Crafts


For more photo compilations, check out the "Photo compilation" tag.



Instagram: @monster_crafts

Comments

  1. Dahlia (@dahlia.dolls)March 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM

    Lovely post! Love all the pictures! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos MC. I often lack motivation to take photos and mine are certainly not as adventurous as yours. I think your backgrounds look great.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu. Interesting that you find that my photos are adventurous, since I don't consider myself (or my photos) particularly adventurous. Glad to hear that you like the backgrounds.
      Big hugs to you too!

      Delete
  3. I maybe have too much ambition, as all of the projects that I want to work on require a lot of time, and the last few that I've tried haven't worked out so well. I'm going to have to figure out some simple things to do just to get some pictures out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! It happens sometimes, that some projects (crafts, photos...) don't work out as planned. I've also had some more ambitious photos that I've spent hours with and I haven't liked the results. Other times I've got nice results from projects I didn't work so hard on. For each 10 photos that I like, I have 30 that I find horrible.

      Sometimes trying something super simple can help. It also helps being in the right mindset. When I'm thinking that I "need" to get those photos right, I'm not as happy with the results as when I'm just doing it for fun.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Linda! I don't think he looks like the actor either, but rather the cartoon of the modern series. I do see that the eye shape is similar, but overall I'm not getting a resemblance. He looks quite different now that what he used to look on "Saved by the Bell".
    Thanks I'm glad you like them and the color scheme. Also, thanks for the name suggestion. Currently I'm trying to finish a craft project, but as soon as I'm done I'd love to write about it.
    Big hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! But honestly, the lady with vitiligo is my favourite. That dress makes her look so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Musume! She's also one of my favourites, she has such a friendly face.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. The weeks just go by so fast. I notice it when it comes to my studies. I send in one essay and suddenly I need to send in a new one, even if it is four weeks between the essays. And soon it is April and summer is around the corner. So crazy!

    I love the photos you share of your dolls. They are inspirational and so are the projects you make.

    Yes, there is something about the read head doll that makes him look like Jason Blossom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time goes by very quickly, specially when you're keeping yourself busy or having a good time. I can't believe it's almost April and I still haven't made many of the things I wanted to do.

      Thank you, I'm glad you find them inspirational. I don't see my blog as a teaching platform, but rather a way we can inspire each other.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment on some of my latest posts. Hope you're staying well and healthy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

How to make a doll TV that "works"