Were my predictions about Mattel right?

Back in August 2018 I wrote a post titled 8 things I'd love to see from Mattel in 2019. In said post, I made some sort of wishlist of things that myself and other Barbie collectors would love to see of the line. Now we're on April 2021, so I think it's fair to take a look back and see if Mattel has accomplished anything from the list. 

I just want to point out that I started writing this post before the Monster High reboot was announced, so I left it on draft and started working on said post. Then I forgot about it for a few weeks and, since I didn't have anything else planned for the blog, I thought it would be a great moment to finish it. 

The text fromt the original post is shown using an italic font. I have omitted a few parts that weren't very relevant, but you can always go back to the original post and read the entire text. But let's stop rambling and start with the post. 


Made to Move Ken with rooted hair and at least 4 different skin tones. (...) Of course, I would also love to see the broad and slim Ken bodies in MTM version, but we’ll leave that for 2020.

Well, we did get Made To Move Ken dolls, but in 2020. Unfortunately, they were part of the collector line (BMR 1959) and not playline, which means they were more expensive. They do have rooted hair, at least 2 of them while the other one has flocked hair. We don't have a broad or slim Made To Move Ken yet and, to be fair, I don't think that will ever happen. And if it happens, chances are he will be collector and super expensive. 



Petite and Tall Made to Move bodies. It’s damn about time Mattel! Yes, I’m aware that, from the new bodies, curvy seems to be the most popular, but our petite and tall dolls need elbows that work. But please, don’t make them hard to find or store exclusive.

Well, this did happen. Unfortunately, Mattel made some questionable choices here. They came up with a tall made to move doll (basketball player) that had a not very common skin tone. Then, the playline Made To Move dolls seemed to vanish for a couple of years, only to come back as collector (the BMR1959 dolls). They made one tall doll (long hair with a pink rain coat) and one petite doll (orange outfit with a hounds tooth jacket). A new line of playline MTM dolls has been announced, but there seem to be no tall or petite dolls. 

Here's my issue with this: creating a new body type requires some investment, because you have to develop the 3D models and make a new cast, so you can produce them. Doing all that work to just produce one doll with that body type doesn't sound very smart. Maybe I'm crazy, but if they sold more dolls with that body type they would get their investment back quicker. It's something that people are willing to buy, does Mattel not want to....make money?



An all curvy Made to move line featuring 3 or 4 different skin tones.Being the most popular of the new bodies, I’m pretty sure that this would be a success. 

This didn't happen. I believe there are 4 curvy MTM bodies out there: the dancer, floral yoga pants, BMR1959 and one in the new playline wave. And while this is not a bad thing, I think they could do more. I bet that, if they had released more curvy MTM dolls, they would have sold out. 



Deluxe Fashionistas line with articulated bodies and decent quality fashionable clothes. They could even make themed waves such as “Spring Time”, “Back to school”, “Night out”... (...)

Well, this kind of happened, but not the way I expected or predicted. I guess the new Barbie Xtra dolls could be considered some sort of "Deluxe Fashionista". They have fun and colorful clothes, but I can't speak on the quality since I don't own one. They're not exactly my style or close to what I was thinking, but they're for sure a step in the right direction. Hopefully, Mattel will keep expanding this line and adding similar ones, instead of making one or two successful launches and then cancelling them. 



Bring the fashion back! Remember the Fashion Avenue era? It was great! The quality was great and sometimes they had a theme to it. It even had clothes for Chelsea (Kelly back then). They could even make them match the current theme of the Fashionistas line I mentioned above. 

Oh, dear! If anything the fashion has gone worse! Most of the fashions I see are shapeless and baggy, with no print on the back. They've made a few cute fashion packs, like the Puma ones or now a collection with Billabong, but those are the exception and still not as good quality as they used to be. Furthermore, for what I've seen, most of them don't include shoes anymore, which makes the pack less valuable in my opinion. 



Stop the “One size fits all”! because actually, it’s more like “one size fits none”. I’d really love to see unique designs for each body type. They could always come up with a small line to test the waters, and if it’s successful, make it bigger.

It's been a hot minute since I've bought a Barbie Fashion Pack, but I feel that they still make ill-fitting clothes. I haven't seen fashion packs targeted to a specific body type in years, and I don't think Mattel will ever make those. The only hope that I have for that is if they made a line with distinct characters featuring different body types and made fashion packs for those characters (like they did with Generation Girls). 


More challenging designs in general. I’m sure that Mattel has the potential to wow us, but they sometimes play a little too safe. Back in the 90s, the playsets were amazing and nothing seemed too crazy to do. There even was a post office playset! 

Mattel has done a few great things these past years that could be considered "challenging" or, at least, interesting. Well, I guess the BMR 1959 line was challenging in a way, but it's not exactly what I envisioned. The variety in the fashionistas line is fantastic, with dolls with vitiligo, prosthetic legs, etc. which can be considered interesting. However, besides those standout dolls, most dolls on that line seem like "filler dolls". I also haven't seen a playset recently that has wowed me.I would say that this has been accomplished, but only halfway.  They've done some good things, but there's still room for improvement. 


Start listening to their fans. There are plenty of bloggers and collectors out there that would be really happy to give them their honest opinion and make suggestions. And to be honest, what most collectors are asking for are quite simple things such as decent quality in their products and more articulated dolls.

The thing with Mattel is that they seem to listen for a minute and give the consumers what they want, but then they take two steps backwards, leaving consumers confused. Since the vitiligo fashionista was so praised, they decided to launch a second one, which could mean they were listening. On the other hand, customers asked for more Made to Move dolls, and they decided they won't be releasing any for over a year. When they finally came back, they were collector. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it could be a smart business move to give your customers what they actually want. Am I crazy? 


Well, it turns out only half of my wishes/predictions came true, and most of them didn't happen until 2020. Honestly, I don't think that my original list was asking for anything crazy or impossible to accomplish for a multi-million dollar company like Mattel, yet it feels like it's so hard for them. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post. It's a bit different from my usual posts, but it was fun to revisit what I was hoping to see from Mattel back in 2018. My next post won't be up until early May, and it's going to be a photo compilation. Lately I've been quite busy with two blogs, trying to take photos for Instagram, plus real life stuff such as job searching and taking courses until I find a job. I want to post on this blog on a consistent basis, but I also don't want to pressure myself to post so often that I end up burned out. But you can expect at least one post per month until I find a job or life gets in the way. 

Also, I need to warn everyone who is subscribed to this blog by e-mail, that you will stop receiving those e-mails in July 2021. It's not up to me, but Feedburner decided to stop providing this service. I'm trying to figure out how to export all the contacts that are subscribed by e-mail, with no success. I don't think I have many e-mail subscribers, maybe 1 or 2 (if any), but I think I should inform you. In the meantime, if you are interested in keeping up with this blog, you can start using some sort of blog reader or RSS Feed. 

So, what do you guys think about my predictions? What would you like to see from Mattel?

See you soon


Monster Crafts. 

PS: I've started using a larger font on my posts, so let me know if you can read them better or if you prefered the smaller font. 

Comments

  1. Well you already know my thoughts on Mattel dolls, so I won't bore you with my comments MC.

    The larger font is much easier for me to read, so I love it!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! I know you're not the biggest fan, but I wouldn't find your input boring. To be fair, I do like Barbie dolls mostly because of nostalgia and because they're affordable, but Mattel as a company... not so much.

      Thanks for your feedback on the font. I also find it easier to read.
      Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! I do agree about not making so many Fashionistas. Why instead of making 20 stiff dolls, they made 6 deluxe dolls and 6 budget ones? I believe "curvy" Ken would be the one called "broad", but I haven't seen many dolls with that body. It would be nice if they gave Ken some attention too.

    The fashions are just not it. I wonder why they don't include shoes, or sell more only shoes packs. One can learn how to sew, but making doll shoes requires some skills that not everyone has.

    I did try to follow a guide they provided, but I didn't find where my e-mail subscribers are. I know I recieve visits from e-mails, because I saw it on my blog statistics, but I don't know who is subscribed by e-mail or how many people.

    No, I don't mind you asking. I did something like "Communication and media" in college, which here is a fairly new degree that includes journalism, advertising, audiovisuals... I would like to work for a medium-size company in their communication department, planning offers, ad campaigns... but I'm open to other types of jobs if the conditions are good.

    Big hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got distracted because my partner made milkshake and forgot to reply to this :D. I haven't noticed their feet being smaller now, but I do agree that with bigger feet they would have more balance. The only issue I see with Mattel changing their feet size is that the older shoes wouldn't be useful anymore and, knowing Mattel, they wouldn't think of releasing shoe packs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I typed a big long reply here that Blogger ate. Let me just say that kids are getting the Fashionistas with the straight arms and legs. Mattel seems to want to either give collectors fantastical dolls like the mermaids and fairies, or dolls wearing runway fashion. Collectors like you and I are in the middle, and I don't honestly know how many of us there are, or if Mattel listens to us. If they just look at the collectors that come to their conventions or belonged to Mattel's Barbie Club membership, then no, they're not.

    I imagine kids probably lose a lot of Barbie shoes, so parents don't care if clothes come with shoes or not. It would be nice if Mattel would produce shoe packs for collectors, but I've seen doll designers say that there isn't money in collector doll clothing packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! It's very annoying when you comment disappears, I've been there. I do agree that some kids would play with anything, while others prefer articulated dolls. For what I see online (mostly Instagram), many adult collectors would buy anything from playline to collector if they like it. I think that what many of us are waiting for is something like the Style Luxe dolls, that had amazing quality and were quite affordable. I don't think they're even listening to more "traditional" collectors, since some of them are complaining about the quality not being up to the price point.

      The issue with shoes is that they made a bunch of new bodies, but they didn't make the effort to give those bodies shoes or even clothes. I would also love if they made shoe packs, even if they're playline. The last one they made seemed to be quite successful.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Linda, I should do that. :)

      mc, when Mattel came out with the new body types, there were a few clothing packs that were designed for multiple body types, including the new ones. Those included shoes. I don't know if they didn't sell well, if parents got frustrated not being able to figure out what size clothing pack to get for their child's doll, or what.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I do remember the ones that I call "One size fits none". There were also some cute 2-fashion packs that were supposed to come in several sizes, but I don't know if it was US exclusive or something, because I never saw any pack on a store or Amazon that wasn't for the original body. I do agree, it was hard to figure out because they had the silouettes of the dolls instead of simply writting "Curvy" on the front. It could have also helped had they made the same designs, but with different colors. It's not that they didn't make them, but they quit fairly easily.
      PS. I do understand these are meant mostly for kids, but I feel there's a rise of older kids and young adults that collect dolls, maybe influenced by people like My Froggy Stuff, and I feel that Mattel is missing an oportunity by not paying attention to that.

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with you and the others in terms of Mattel. It seems to me they are more concerned about "the bottom line" than putting out a better product. All the dolls should have articulated bodies right now. As far as the fashions....they don't even make an effort. The fact they have discontinued the Silkstone Barbies makes a huge statement in terms of what direction they plan to take. I know they do those "She-ros" or famous character dolls, but frankly, I don't collect dolls to keep in boxes. Some of my favorite Barbies are still those Model Muse Little Black Dress collectibles as well as the Models of the Moment. But frankly, I haven't bought a Barbie in years. But I too miss those shoe packs. I have no reason to walk down a Barbie aisle in the stores. In any case, this was a really interesting post MC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April. I also do believe that most dolls should be articulated. If they want to keep a few stiff ones for a budget line, fine, but articulated bodies shouldn't be hard to find or "rare". I do appreciate what they're doing with the Shero dolls and their price is fine, but some of their other releases are just underwhelming. The comment about Silkstones being cancelled reminded me that they also discontinued The Barbie Look a few years ago. Those were the type of collector dolls that I like, they were a bit more special than playline dolls, but still were more or less affordable.

      I wish Mattel went back to its roots and revisited some of the products that made them popular, both collector and playline. A new wave of the Barbie Basics could be a great place to start.

      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I am playing catch up here with the blog posts. I do hear you with your comments on Mattel as a company. I also agree with some of your points and Mattel has certainly had some hits and some misses. But, I do think no other doll company has the range and diversity of doll lines that Mattel has. No one has the range of playsets or clothing and accessories either. I do think that they have listened to so many different voices from the doll collector and play line communities. As an adult collector/doll enthusiast, I wish all of the dolls had MTM joints. But, then I hear the complaints of many traditional collectors who hate jointed bodies, especially the MTM bodies. I hear complaints about the quality of the doll clothes. Again, it is something that can be hit or miss. So many doll folks seem to want the quality of IT dolls at a dollar store price. To me that is just not realistic. I am not saying that some of the complaints are not valid, but I do think we all need to realize that Mattel, like every other company is in business to make money. You cannot please everyone! I do think they are trying to listen. For example, when the doll community complained about that awful glue they used in the heads, they did listen and you don't see it anymore. I am seeing fewer and fewer clothes with only one side printed. I am excited to see the new Barbie Style line coming out and have ordered the very first one. I am so excited to get her!

      Delete
    3. Hi Phyllis! I do agree that Mattel has quite a wide range of toy lines and quite diverse. I do agree about the playsets, but I don't think any other doll line has lived as long as Barbie and remained relevant. When I was writting this post I realized these opinions were mostly about Barbie than about Mattel as a whole. I do agree that they sometimes seem to listen (the Monster High comeback could be an example), but then they seem to do the oposite, which leaves some people confused.

      I do agree that some people have unrealistic expectations about the prices, while others are quite fair. If a line has a sudden drop of quality, but they're charging you the same or a bit more, that's a fair complaint. They also have some inconsistencies with that. One line is quite affordable and great quality, and then they put out a 80$ doll with lots of quality issues. However, I need to point out that my complaints about the prices are also biased by the fact that, outside the US, the prices are going up at the same time that the quality is going down.

      I published this post right before the upcoming Barbie Style dolls were revealed. I think it's a fantastic idea, since it's something that people have been asking for. They're a bit more expensive than I was expecting (here they retail for 156$), so I need to think about it. I'm skipping the Millie one, but I'll keep an eye for the rest, specially if I can find them on sale.

      Thanks for stopping by and keeping up with my older posts.

      Delete
  6. I would not complain if there where more made to move Barbies out there, easy to find and purchase. Often the MTM’s are sold out. Chelsea would be cute with a MTM body. If Obitsu can make one tiny one, so should Mattel. The new Xtra Barbies are great looking, but so expensive over here in my little country. I can compare it to getting a cheaper Ball Jointed Doll. The Rainbow High dolls are better when it comes to fashion. You get a doll, two sets of outfits and two pair of shoes and every doll is jointed to really made to move.

    Hope it goes well with your courses and finding a job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, sometimes MTM dolls are hard to find. Plus, they're so expensive now, they're prices have skyrocketed, at least here. I never thought of a MTM Chelsea, but it's true that they could at least give her some articulated knees. I've always thought that Skipper could easily get a MTM body, since she's closer to the petite Barbie. I do agree, the Xtra dolls are so expensive, specially if you consider that those are playline dolls. I hope that the success of the Rainbow High line lights a fire under Mattel's butt and they surprise us in the near future.

      Thank you. Good luck you too with your studies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson

The return of Monster High