9th blogoversary

Well, you've read the title. This little blog turns 9 years today! I can't believe 9 years have gone by already, it still feels like yesterday. I'm also quite impressed with myself for sticking to something for such a long time.

Even though I started blogging back in 2013, I wasn't able to be consistent and put out the content that I was planning until 2019. I think the Making more backgrounds for doll photography post was when things started taking a shift. I don't know what it is, but I think it was at this point when I started enjoying the content that I was putting more, but also trying new things. 


Last year I forgot about my blog anniversary, so the last dedicated post was for my 7th blogoversary. On that post, I mention that I've always wanted to do more craft posts, but never got the time or had trouble finding the supplies. Well, since then I've made around 14 dedicated craft posts (which you can find under the doll crafts tag), plus the little things I make behind the scenes, but I might not blog about, like most of my walls. Moving home has also contributed to me being able to work on more stuff, as now I have a much better working area. 

I'm also learning how to sew, so I can make doll clothes for my dolls. It is something I have pledge to learn to do since the beginning of times, but finally late last year I took the plunge. Am I an expert? No. Are my doll clothes super well-made? Also, no. But I'm willing to share my progress here, so maybe I can encourage other people to learn something new. It's also nice to have some sort of "diary of progress", so you can look back and see how far you've come.

Victoria brought a gift

Currently, the idea behind this blog is to show what I'm learning along the way in my doll collecting journey. I don't think of myself as an expert on anything, but I do think I can offer some information that people might find helpful or interesting. When I started collecting, I had lots of questions, but couldn't find many answers. I often saw this gorgeous doll photos in beautiful scenes, and I had no idea how to make anything remotely similar. As I have been finding out how to make certain things, I've been sharing it here, in case someone finds it helpful. Of course, there are other resources out there (My Froggy Stuff was a great inspiration, specially at the beginning), but I'm just sharing my personal journey. 

I often thought I wouldn't be able to make certain things because I didn't have the right resources. I'm not talking necessarily money, but also access to certain supplies or the right space to do so. So, I tried my best to make the most of what I have, but also keep things simple, so others can feel they can do it too. This is why I make so many crafts with popsicle sticks, because it's a simple supply most people can find, and it's fairly easy to work with. My balcony pics steam from the idea that you don't need to have the most amazing garden to take outdoorsy pics from the comfort of your house. 

Also tried to find out how to take pool
pics without a proper pool

In the future, I plan to keep sharing everything that I'm working on. I have ideas for future projects, some of which are more complex than the ones I've been making, but others are still on the simple side. I want to keep improving my crafts and pushing it further, while still having something to offer for those who maybe can't  (or don't want to) do something too complicated. 

I hope you're all doing well. My next post is probably going to be a photo compilation, even though I have taken very few photos these past weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to finish a sewing project and work on some miniature artwork, which I will share here in the near future. 

See you soon.

Monster Crafts

Comments

  1. Happy 9th anniversary! :) That's amazing that you've been blogging for that long. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinley. It is, and it doesn't feel it's been that long.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! That's amazing! I love the blog, even though I cannot comment that much. Keep up the good job!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Musume! To be fair, I've also failed to keep up with my reading list, so I understand. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! How time flies! I haven't been reading consistently but I've always enjoyed your posts when I came upon them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BlackKitty! I also can't believe that so many years have gone by. For the longest time I wasn't able to read blogs consistently, so I totally understand.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Linda! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy my content. It's sad that blogs aren't as popular as they once were and also lots of the ones that inspired me to start have been inactive for quite some time. You and Barb are some of the very few people I found at the beggining and are still active, even if it's with different blog.
    The sewing project is almost done, I just need to plan out a cute photoshoot and write a dedicated post.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It's great that you were able to persevere and make your blog content more like what you wanted. It would be interesting to see if some of the younger bloggers that I see on Instagram, would also like to craft more things for and do more things with their dolls. Now that I think about it, a lot of them are just doing "selfies," but using their dolls. I hope that more people decide to do more things for their dolls, and maybe find your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I follow some that also do make their own dioramas and crafts, but lots of them just buy their props, which is great if you have the budget for it. I know a few people from Instagram that have tried blogging, but most seem to drop the ball pretty quickly. I also would love for people to start making more stuff for their dolls, and maybe my blog could be an inspiration.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Your blog and several others have been copied by Toy News. Here is your blog that was copied. Others are there too. You should change your feed to none. https://toynewz.com/2022/04/24/9th-blogoversary/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I'll see what I can do about it.

      Delete
  7. Sorry it has taken me awhile to wish you a very Happy Blogoversary. I've been out of town (in Paris, actually) for 3 weeks! I love the simplicity of your blog. Your tutorials are well written and photographed and produce very professional looking ideas and results for backgrounds and doll photography. I am so happy you are part of our doll community here. Looking forward to the next decade of blogposts in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! I'm glad that you like my content. I do try my best to make tutorials simple and clear. Hope you've had a nice time in Paris and thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Oh, wow - 9 years! That is amazing, congratulations! I have always enjoyed reading your blog posts :) and looking at your photos. Look forward to many more years! Enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! I really appreciate your support and kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy