How to: Textured "limewash effect" cream wall

After my last post, I felt the bug to create more backgrounds, so I decided to make yet another back wall. Originally, I wanted to make a geometric design using pastel colors, but I thought it might not be very versatile. So I decided to go with a textured wall. I did make one a couple of years ago, using a very light gray color, and I've been wanting to make a warmer-tone version for quite some time. The process for this wall is very similar to the one in my original post, but I'll still share as much information as I can about the process. 

First, we cut and prime our walls. I had already done this while I was working on my previous post, so I'm already starting a bit ahead. Once the primer has dried, it's time to choose our base color. I want it to have a warm tone but be very light, so I chose Light Buttermilk by Americana Acrylics, which is a creamy color with a yellow tone.


Then, I took a white acrylic and, picking up very little paint with my brush, started gently brushing it on the wall. I used a paint with a thicker consistency  and also a brush with stiff bristles. It's not very visible on camera, but check out my other texture wall tutorial for better photos. 


A while back, I watched a video of a girl making a faux lime wash wall, and she used three colors to create the effect. So, I thought it would be a good idea to darken up the light buttermilk color. I added a drop of Burlap to give it a brownish tone. Using a sponge, I gently spread it on the wall. I immediately thought it looked like dirt, so I lightened the color more and sponged it very gently, going back and forth with the mixture, white acrylic and Light Buttermilk. It does look very subtle, but I didn't want it to look too obvious either. Spoiler alert, after taking the photos, I thought it was too subtle and added a bit more of the dark color. 


Let's take a look at how it looks with some furniture and a few dolls. In this photo with Rosie, it does look very subtle. I can tell that it's not a flat color, but it's barely noticeable. I also feel like this photo is very bright, and that might be taking away some of the details. 


In this photo with Blake it looks a bit warmer, but I like the effect. 


After taking these photos, I decided to add a gentle touch of the darker color. I was still very subtle with it because, again, I didn't want it to be too obvious. I was almost certain that the difference was going to be almost imperceptible on camera, but I felt like I needed to add a bit more color.


I changed the decor up a bit to know which ones were the new version. In this photo of Chloe you can barely see the texture.


I've been a bit conflicted with this wall. On one hand, I keep comparing it to the first one that I made, and clearly the other one has more texture. Maybe it's just that those colors contrast more. On the other hand, however, on some of those faux limewash walls, the texture looks very smooth and subtle, and I think this looks closer to that. I think I'm going to conclude that I like the effect, even though it didn't turn out 100% like I expected.


I have many more ideas in mind for this bookcase room and, while I know I won't have time to make all of them before school starts, I would like to, at least, make a couple more. One of the main issues I see with my backgrounds is that they sometimes look too flat, so I want to try adding more texture to them, either by trying techniques like this or by adding 3D elements. I want to try to make a board and batten wall next to see how it would look in my scenes. I also need to make a side wall in Light Buttermilk and Purple Petal, so I can take photos from further away with these walls. 

For this series, I've decided to create a new tag called Mix and Match Bookcase, where I will group the posts dedicated to making different walls and accent elements for these bookcase dioramas. That way, it will be easier for you to find these posts if you ever decide to do something like this in the future.


For the next couple of weeks, I will be taking a little break from the blogosphere and social media. Mr. Monster and I are on holidays, and we will be busy doing things and also spending some quality time together. So, I won't have much time to check out your blogs, and my replies to your comments might come a bit later than usual. I've left some posts scheduled on Instagram, but I just won't be interacting much there either. 

I hope you're all having an amazing summer and I'll be back as soon as possible.


Monster Crafts


This post was first published on themonstercrafts.blogspot.com. If you see it published elsewhere, it's been plagiarized without my consent.

Comments

  1. Another great post. Have you thought about using some sort of "wall paper" or fabric on the walls? It seems as though there are endless possibilities. In the meantime, you and Mr Monster have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April. I did use some wall paper a few years ago, but it wasn't really my style, although I've used the shiplap effect one as a floor quite a few times. It was a discontinued catalog I got from my old job. I had an idea for a photo series that implied making a diorama with tropical wallpaper, but I never got around to it. Who knows, maybe when I have time I'll make my own wall paper patterns for my dioramas, as scrapbook paper is nowhere to be found in my town.
      Thanks; we'll make sure to have a great time. You too, enjoy your summer!

      Delete
  2. Hi MC.
    I found it difficult to see the texture on my screen. Perhaps using two stronger contrasting colours will help it photograph more clearly. I'm sure you'll work it out through your experimenting.
    Aside from that, the photos of your dolls are really lovely, especially the one of Blake.
    Enjoy your holiday and come back rested.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! The texture is indeed very subtle, and it might be difficult to see on some screens. I can see it better from my phone than from my computer. On some of the "limewash effect" walls that I looked up, the effect was very smooth and subtle, almost barely there. I can always add more color later on, or maybe when I make the side wall using a flat color, the difference will be more noticeable. I'd also like to make another one using more contrasting colors, but it won't be soon, as there's not much summer left.
      I too like how the photos turned out, and this wall is probably going to be very present in my future photos.
      Thank you so much, big hugs to you too!

      Delete
  3. Hello Monstercrafts! Wonderful photos.The doll rooms look cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inesa! I want to add elements to make it a bit warmer, but I'm glad you already find it cozy.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the tutorial and the great pictures. I know textured walls are all the rage, but it's easier to make them for our dolls, where we don't have to worry about repainting. Have a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! They are, and that's partially what inspired me to make this wall. That's the good thing about doll collecting, you can experiment with decor because it's much easier to re-do if you're not happy with it, plus just for a fraction of the price.
      Thanks, I just have a couple more days left, but I'll be back soon!

      Delete
  5. Great post and tutorial. :)
    I once saw a post on Instagram where this lady used a thick layer of color, only white in her case, and then she took a tool and made different moves on the paint. It look ribbed and the effects where nice. It could work in a painting, was my thought, but not maybe on a wall.
    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! Honestly, that sounds like a great way to add texture to a wall. There's also this acrylic medium called modeling paste that can help you make some texture if your paint isn't thick enough.
      Thanks for stopping by and sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

How to make a doll TV that "works"