Quick craft: doll size framed artwork

Hi guys. How are you doing during this strange times?

I'm still quite busy with college work, but these past few weeks I've managed to organize myself a little better and I've found some time to come here and update the blog. I've been using something called pomodoro technique, in which you focus on a task for 40 minutes and then you take 10 minutes off. It's been working so far and I feel I've been more productive in my study time. The extra spare time I get with this technique I've been using it for house chores or doll photography, but today it's time to focus on the blog.


As some of you may know, this summer I've been working on some "room looking" backgrounds and furniture. I was quite happy with what I did, but the walls looked quite bare and empty. So, back in September I started working on a few framed artwork pieces to add more detail to the rooms. I made all of them and took the pics of the process back in September, but never got around writing a post.  So, I guess today is the day. Let's start.

For this craft you will need:

  • Printed arwork or magazine cutouts.
  • A cereal or a cookie box
  • Coffee stirrers, skinny sticks or popsicle sticks.
  • Craft paint (optional).
  • Scissors
  • A glue stick and white glue.

I start by printing the pieces of artwork that I want. I made the designs using Canva, an online desing tool. Then I placed the images on a Word document and printed them. Of course, you can use existing images that you can find online. Since I don't own a color printer, I used images that would work just in black. 


Draw a square around the image. Just make sure you leave enough space to place a skinny stick, but also do not cut too close to the next image. 

Cut it out and glue it onto a cereal box. I didn't have any photos of this step, so I went ahead and made another one, just to take the missing photos. 


Once we have our piece cut out, it's time to make the frame. I used 3 stirrers for each piece of framed artwork. If you're using popsicle sticks, you might want to leave a small allowance around the paper. 


Since I don't have the best temple, I thought it would be a good idea to paint the pieces  first. I painted 3 pieces for the bigger frames and I think 2 for the small one. I'm trying to go for colors that will work with the backgrounds I already have.  If you like the natural wood color, you can just leave it like that or stain it to make it look darker. 


The stirrers I'm using are from a bag of 1.000 units that I found on Amazon at quite a cheap price. I thought they would be longer, but they work for this craft. 


Cut the pieces to the size of the frame and glue them in place. I used white glue for that.



Once the glue dries down, touch up the edges using a small brush.

Here we have the final result.


Even though I made these back in September, I still haven't used in a scene. So, a couple of weeks ago, I gave it a try for the first time. I placed the coral and the golden one on my baby blue wall using poster putty. The small coral frame I placed it on the shelf, to add a pop of color there. 


These photos were taken with a new phone I got around mid November and I still don't have much control with the camera. It does blur the background a lot and I'm trying to figure out how to control that. Sometimes a blurry background can help to hide flaws in the background, but sometimes I need more definition. Anyway, the focus of the photos are meant to be the dolls and these props are just to add more detail to the background.


I haven't taken many pics with the frames, but I'm sure you'll see them in future posts and photos. However, with the very few pics that I have, I think you get the idea. Plus, I will make more in different colors, because every time I make something I want to make several in every single color of the rainbow. 


Hope you guys enjoyed this post despite being a bit rushed. I don't think I will be very active here before mid-late January, but I have taken a few Christmas themed pics and I'd love to share them here. I will also try to keep up with your blogs as much as I can, but lately I haven't found much time to read all of them. 

Hope you're doing great and I'll see you in my next post.

Monster Crafts


You may also enjoy:

How to: doll size crate shelf/bookcase


Follow me on: 

Instagram        Facebook          Twitter

Comments

  1. Great tutorial! I have saved some pictures from Pinterest to print out for things like this, but often the pictures come out too big or small. I feel it is better to draw something myself or use an older magazine. I love your final result.

    I did not know it was called pomodoro technique. I do something similar as that. Focus on a task for 40-60 minutes and then do something other for a short while. Rest, coloring, preparing for dinner and so on. Works wonders.

    Well, these strange times are rather odd. It has gotten worse over here and closer. I know some older workmates and colleagues from my political era that have covid-19 and some of them struggle really hard. More and more people are using masks and it is empty in the streets in our little town. But then there is others that just think that it does not happen to them. Black Friday, shops are filled and it is crowded. Our library is closed, some restaurants close earlier and the pharmacy allows just a handful of visitors. I am staying home, just walking the dog in a nearby forest during times when there is not so much other dog walkers. It is not so much fun for Bentley, our fur baby, because he needs his friends too. We had one planned dog meet last week, so he could play with his friends for a while. A neighbor has a dog, so they say hi through the fence while the owner stands in her living room with open door and I stand on the street. We make it work.

    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Thank you, I'm glad you like them. I place them on a Word document, so I can get an aproximate idea of how big they'll look. They came out more or less how I expected, however I feel they look a bit too small in my huge wall.

      I've found out that working in small batches helps me get better results that trying to study for long hours. I end up so fed up that I have trouble focusing.

      In Spain things got worse after the summer. I am surprised that we aren't in lockdown again, but there's a curfew going on and we can't leave our region. I try to stay home as much as possible, and if we go out for a walk or to the store we try to keep a distance from others. I do agree that some people walk around like it's not their problem and sometimes even act reckless I used to get very stressed out about it, but at the end of the day there's nothing I can do about it. So far me and my family are doing well. Nobody from my close circle has gotten sick yet, so fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

      Too bad that things in your are have taken a turn to the worse. Lucky that you have an open space nearby where you can walk in peace. Sure Bentley would prefer to play with his friends, but I'm sure he has a lot of fun walking and playing with you neightbor's pup.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. You always come up with great ideas MC and this post is no exception. :)

    Things have opened up down under and we have had no Covid cases or deaths in Victoria for 30 days now, much to my relief. Our lockdown was really strict and we still have to wear masks inside shops etc., but it's been so good being able to finally have my hair cut and go to a restaurant again.

    Stay safe and wear your mask!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Xanadu. I'm glad you like the idea.

      I'm glad to hear that things are starting to open up. I hope they don't try to go back to normal too quickly, or it will backfire like it happened here. I haven't cut my hair in a year, so I hope I can do so as soon as I'm done with college. I personally don't mind wearing a mask, it can also be helpful with allergies.

      Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the artwork ideas! My dolls could use some artwork, although there's a lot of other items on the list before that. Especially since Christmas is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I should also give priority to other crafts, but I did start this right before college simply because it was so easy to do. For the past two years I've wanted to make some Christmas themed decor for dolls, but I have never gotten around that.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Linda! I made the frames colorful because I can't print colorful artwork and that was the only way I could add a pop of color. If you choose well your colors, you can have a small selection of frames that will fit every background.

    It has been working for me so far. It's not just for studies, but for anything, like cleaning or other house chores. I've been quite busy with a project for college that was quite complicated, so I don't have many photos yet. Hope I can take more of them soon.

    Hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

How to make a doll TV that "works"