How to: doll size crate shelf/bookcase

Wow, I can't believe I'm back with another craft tutorial. It's the 4th craft related post this year, which is quite rare, since I typically make one of those once in a blue moon. Not that I'm complaining, I'm quite happy with that. Originally I created this blog with the idea of making a doll house and furniture for my Monster High dolls, but that never happened. You know, life got in the way and I didn't manage to do it. Plus, I didn't have much space in the old house. So, now that I'm in a new space and have more time, I want to take advantage of it. 

When I started working on my backgrounds and taking pics, I realized the lack of doll furniture that I have. I had a few ideas in mind, like an Upcycling part 2 type of post, but I didn't manage to find the supplies that I needed. While I was working on my colorful crates, I thought that maybe I could make a shelf out of crates, since they're quite easy to make. I recalled that My Froggy Stuff had done something similar not so long ago, so I checked out her video for inspiration. Here's the video. 

I did watch the video back when she uploaded it, and I recalled more or less what she did. I was quite concerned about getting the size right, so I checked again to make my crates the same size as hers. She made them 2 and 3/4 inches, which is 6,99cm. My crates were 8 cm, so there wasn't a big difference. To get an approximate idea of the size of the shelf, I piled up the crates that I had and took a pic with a doll for reference. 

This is the 3rd post I make on crates, so I don't think I should go into much depth. The way Froggy makes her crates is almost the same way I do them, but there are a few differences. I don't think either her technique or mine is better than the other, but I think it could be interesting for you to see the difference, and choose the technique that works better for you. 

I start by taping 5 sticks to my table and measuring 7 cm (2 and 3/4 inches). It's easier for me to work like this, so that way I can mark my sticks at the same time. Then, I measure the stick that will go across. 

I measure again to make the sides of the crate. You will need  4 pieces for each side. Then, measure the 2 pieces that will go across. I cut enough pieces to make 2 crates before start gluing, because I always pour too much glue and I didn't want to waste it. 

Now it's time to glue the pieces. I always use a white glue meant for wood working because it dries clear and the pieces end up being quite sturdy without having a strong chemical smell. I apply it with the oldest brush I have and press the pieces. I often put some weight on the pieces while they dry.

Now it's time to assemble the pieces. I noticed that, on the base of the crate, Froggy placed the pieces going across facing outside, while I've always placed them inside. I guess she does it because it looks cleaner, but I like the "imperfect" look of these crates. Plus, since I don't have much decor, I feel it's going to make the shelves look fuller. Here's a pic I took for comparison.


She also glues the side pieces on top of the base, while I always glue it to the side. I guess she does it that way so it doesn't add extra height to the shelf. However, I prefer to glue it to the side because, I feel like there's more surface to put the glue on and, therefore, it will stick better. 

Glue the pieces the way you want to and set them aside to dry. I like to press for a few seconds with my fingers and then let them dry using something to help the side piece stay in place. 



Then I cut and glue the side pieces starting with the bottom piece, then the top one and, finally, the middle one. I like to glue them before the glue from the side pieces dries completely, so I can straighten them if it's needed.

We finally have our crate. Now, let's do 5 more! I was curious to know how many popsicle sticks did I use for this craft, and thought it might be useful for you, so you don't run short on supplies. For the base, I used 6 sticks. For the sides, another 6 (3 each side). For the pieces on the longest side, I used a total of 6, 3 on each side, which makes a total of 18 sticks each crate. Since we made 6, that means that you need 108 popsicle sticks for this craft. 

You can either leave the crates like this and glue them together. Personally, I want to paint them white, since I don't like their natural color much. However, before deciding whether if I should paint it or not, I took a few photos with my dolls, to help me make up my mind. 

Doll size shelf Sea Breeze background



I didn't love the natural color, so I went ahead and painted it. I'm painting the crates before assembling the crates, because it will be much harder to do so once the shelf is assembled. However, if you like the natural color, you can skip this step. This wouldn't be a true Monster Crafts tutorial without one questionable photo, so please, enjoy the one and only painting photo I took that turned out to be super blurry.


Once everything is painted and dried, it's time to assemble it. I used the same white glue to assemble it. 

We're done! This is how the shelf looks like. I've added a few props to make it look fuller, but I don't have much decor items or doll size books, so it looks a bit sad. The two orbit balls I've made them out of a toilet paper roll following this tutorial. The baby pink rectangle was a little experiment I made trying to make a vase out of popsicle sticks. I've also added an artificial plant to bring some greenery to the scene. 

Doll size crate bookshelf in white

Now it's time to bring the dolls and see how it looks in a scene. For this pic, I came up with a mini story of Asha surprising Chloe with two tickets to see her favorite band in concert, because in my dolly world there's no pandemic going on.


Bear in mind that this craft is meant to be a background element in your photos or dioramas, not the main focus of attention. Don't worry if you made small mistakes, they won't be that noticeable on camera.


I recently made a baby blue background that I haven't even tried yet, so I think it's a great moment to see how it looks against my dolls. 

Doll diorama in Amsterdam Sky Blue Light

I think I really need a couch that isn't pink, because it takes the realism away from the scene. Maybe when the next semester is over, I could focus on making a couch in a neutral color, but so far this one will have to do.

Barbie Music Festivals blue doll diorama
Blake


Overall, I'm quite happy with this craft. I think it looks interesting as a background element and, because its height, it helps distract from the fact that my walls are quite bare. I think I made the right choice by painting it white, I don't think I would have liked it that much in its natural color. However, because it's white, now I have a little dilemma. I bought a tea box to make another shelf like the one on my Upcycling postOriginally, I wanted to make two: one in the color Sea Breeze and another one in white. Since I only found one box, I painted it white, but now I feel like I have too much white furniture and I'm undecided on which color should I paint it instead. These are my main choices. Which color do you like the most? You can also suggest colors that aren't here. 

Coral Blush, Sea Breeze, Turquoise and Dove Grey

I hope you guys enjoyed this post. This is probably the last craft tutorial I will be able to write for a while, since soon I'll be back in college and this type of posts take the longest time to make. As usual, I haven't managed to do all the crafts and projects I had planned for this summer, but overall I'm quite happy with what I've done. Definitely I have made enough things to step up my photo scenes. And, whatever I haven't managed to do, is a project I can leave for when I finish college in January. 


Before I sign off for today, a little PSA: apparently the new Blogger reader is a hot mess and I've been missing some posts. I try to check out the blogs I interact the most with manually every few days to see if they have a new post. I don't know if it's working for you, but I would suggest you check a few of your favorite blogs manually, just in case. I'm also considering using some type of blog reader while I wait for Blogger to fix this mess. Any suggestion will be welcome.

See you in my next post.


Monster Crafts


If you liked this post, you may also like:


Comments

  1. You can do so many things with those crates; necesito hacer algun de esas cajas. I have a *lot* of craft sticks that I found on sale, which would save time, because I wouldn't have to cut the rounded end off. You might be able to make some sort of simple seating out of crates, or pallets, and a couple of cushions, if you are not completely tired of making crates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. I do agree, there are tons of crate furniture ideas on Pinterest. The craft sticks will not only save you time while crafting, but also cleaning afterwards, those tiny pieces fly everywhere! I did think about making pallets for my photos, but got sidetracked by other projects and never got to do so. I was a bit fed up of making the crates, but now I'm in the mood again. I shoul probably simply go to the fabric store, buy some plain white cotton and start sewing pillows and stuff for my dolls.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and as far as keeping track of blogs, I use my blog list on the side of my blog to keep track of the latest postings, at least for my favorite blogs. It's also useful for those blogs that don't have a follow button.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip. I've added the gadget to my blog, to see if that way I can keep track. I don't like how it looks very much, but I'll try to figure out a way to fix it.

      Delete
  2. Hi MC!
    I really like your How To projects, they are always simple and easy to follow. The crates you have made can be put to many different purposes, I can see they could also make a great market stall if you needed to create a completely different scene. :)
    I have no suggestions for the tea box, I love white furniture! Oh I had a thought about the couch . . . instead of making another one, why not make a loose cover?
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! Thanks, I'm glad that you find them easy. I try to keep my projects quite begginer friendly, so everyone can feel they can do something. I've had a few people commenting that they feel like many tutorials out there are too advanced for their skills, which is how I felt when I began crafting.

      The loose cover is a fabulous idea! I did think about trying to replicate the cover in another color, but you would still be able to see the pink legs underneath. I should really go to the fabric store and give some sewing projects a try.

      Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda! I know, it's a mess. It will also show posts as brand new when in fact you read them 2 days ago. So far I'm adding some of my favourites to the side bar of my blog and I'll check it from time to time.

    Thanks, I'm glad you like the tutorial. I do prefer it in white too, I feel it works better with my overal scenes style. I do like the coral a lot, but I like the others too, I'm such an indecisive person. To be fair, I would go to the store, buy 4 of the same box and paint each in a different color, so that way I wouldn't have to choose.

    I do like the idea of a reading nook. I have another box I bought that could be ransformed into a daybed, so maybe I could use the grey for that one.

    Thanks for your kind words and your suggestions. Hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! What a wonderful idea and a great tutorial too, to make shelf or a bookcase! I really enjoyed reading it! And you can make many of those in different colors to different photos. I remember mentioning making some in my last comment, but the days are not enough. I wake up and suddenly it is time to go back to sleep again. And now I have two courses going on with essays, so...buuut I am not complaining. I am enjoying it. :D And the windy and cold Autumn makes me just want to snuggle under a blanket.
    But, anyway, your crates are amazing and the pink sofa....can you not change the pink fabric to something else. I have the sofa too, but do not remember if the fabric can be taken off. Need to check that someday. :) Enjoy the weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! It's quite an easy idea but, to be fair, it's quite time consuming. If I make another one, I might try a different design and, of course, a different color. I feel the same way about time. I just started college and I already feel overwhelmed and feel like days don't have enough hours. Between school and house chores, I feel like I don't have time to play with dolls. Plus, I'm trying to work out after studying, so that also takes time.

      You can remove the cover, it has a velcro that keeps it in place. The main issue is that I currently don't have any fabric I could use to make any type of cover. .

      You too enjoy the weekend. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. These are really super cute, MC. It's so clever that you can make them out of Popsicle sticks. These are actually quite practical because you can use them to store dolly accessories. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April. Popsicle sticks are a great to make doll furniture, since you don't need lots of tools or a big knowledge to use them. I do actually store some decor items inside the colorful crates I made a few months ago.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy