Quick craft: letter decor

These past couple of years I've been making some pieces of furniture, mostly bookcases, to fill up my indoor photo scenes. I have quite a few pieces to alternate now, but it turns out I don't have many props to fill them, and they sometimes look quite empty. So I thought I could start making smaller props to fill my shelves with and add more realism to my dioramas. 


Today we're making some "letter decor" (I can't think of a better name) using some wooden letters. I found them at a store called Tedi and I believe they're meant for scrapbooking, but they're the perfect size for fashion dolls. It's quite a simple craft, so that's why I'm going to show you two different designs. 


For this craft you will need:

  • Small wooden letters for scrapbooking.
  • Popsicle sticks and/or wooden coffee stirrers.
  • Craft paint.
  • White glue or hot glue.
  • Scissors or a cutter. 

Let's start with the easiest design, that was actually the one I did last. I picked up letters to write the word "Home". You can write whatever you want, but short words will work better.


I painted mine using the color Sea Glass by Americana Acrylics because I want a pop of color, but I still want it to be subtle. If you like the bare wood look, you can leave it just like that. 


While the letters dry, I cut a popsicle stick to use as a base. The size will depend on the size of your letters and the spacing you want to give them, but around 6 cm should be fine. I cut it using a cutter instead of scissors to get a sharper edge.


After sanding the edges a bit, I painted it using some white acrylic paint.


Once everything has dried down, glue the letters in place using hot glue or white glue. I would suggest planning out the space beforehand. I put some masking tape here and there to help me with the spacing. 


And this is the final result. I'm aware it's nothing groundbreaking, and I'm not the first to make something like this, but I wanted to give it a go for quite some time. 


Now let's move on to the second design. It requires a bit more work, but it's still very simple. We're going to create a wooden base to stick our letters to. I start by aligning 6 wooden coffee stirrers and measuring the size I want them to be. I ended up making two, one was 6,5 cm (2,56 inches) and the other was 8 cm (3,15 inches). I ended up using the smaller one for the design, even though the one you will see on the photos is the big one. 


Cut out the sticks to your desired size.


Measure, cut and glue two pieces of sticks going across, to hold everything together.  Make sure these pieces are slightly smaller, so they won't show up when we flip it. 


Once everything dries down, it's time to paint. I chose to stain it using the same water base stain I used for my wooden floor. If you don't have any stain at home, you can create the same effect with acrylic paint, like I showed on the crate console post

While the stain/paint dries down, I painted the letters using white acrylic paint. This time I want the sign to say "Fall", but you can choose any other word you want. 


Once everything has dried down, it's time to glue it in place using white glue. Again, I'm using some masking tape to help me keep the letters aligned. Take your time doing this and don't rush it.


And, here is the result. 


Let's take some photos with the new signs. First, let's try "Home". I used the matching Sea Glass  wall to see how it would look. It adds a subtle touch that at first found too subtle, because I made the "fall" one first. But after taking some photos with it, I quite like it.





It does pop out more against the Dove Grey bookshelf than against the white one. 


Let's move on to the "Fall" one. In this photo, I used a new wall that I made in the color Light Buttermilk


I love the warmth the overall scene has. I also like the fact that it matches the floor.


Here I tried it on the Blush pink wall. I sticked it on the wall using poster putty, to try something different.


I think this is a quick and easy idea to make some decor for your dioramas. I'm planning to make "Xmas" one using the same method I used for the Fall sign. There are also many more variants you can make using this idea. For example, you can make an "L" shape with a popsicle stick and use the letters to make bookends.


At some point while working on this post, I found these wooden stars at a decor store called Casa. They're meant to be to spread on the table, but since they're wooden they could work just as fine as the letters. 


I have future plans to make other "small decor" items. A while back I printed some miniature books, but I haven't bought the craft foam I need to make them. I would also love to make a snake plant to add a pop of green to the shelves. I also have an idea for a couch, but that will take me a bit longer to do. Anyway, I don't think I'll have time to make those before the year ends, so those will be my 2022 projects. I much rather finish a wainscot I'm working on and start working on some Christmas photos. 


In other news, I've been trying to resurrect my Facebook page. I know some of you aren't active over there, but if you are, I would appreciate if you liked my page. If you do so, make sure to also like and/or comment a couple of my latest post, that way you will see my updates on your feed. 

I hope you're all doing well. Let me know in the comments if you're planning to do something similar for your dolls. I don't know if I'll manage to get another post up before the Holiday season, but if not, I'll see you in December.

Monster Crafts. 


Note: The wall on the very first photo is also a new wall in the color Light Mocha, by Americana Acrylics


Comments

  1. Hi Linda! The other option I had was "sign", but I thought "letter decor" would also fit other possible variants you can make. Thanks, I'm glad that you like them. I like the light one too, but I think that the "Fall" one is my favorite.
    I still haven't finished all of the "Fall/Autum" projects I had planned, and it's already time to start working on Christmas content. I have nothing planned yet, so I guess I'll end up improvising.

    Big hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing more fun than finding something meant for another craft/hobby and using it for doll things. Your projects turned out well; these types of signs are still very fashionable here.

    Here in the US, the craft stores also use the word "plaque" for the Fall sign that you made. Wooden letter sign would work for both of your projects. I've also seen wooden name sign for projects where it spells out someone's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I believe there are also miniature frames meant for scrapbooking, but I haven't seen those in any store around. They're also getting quite trendy here.

      I didn't think of the word "plaque". I did see those plaques with names on it when I was looking for ideas, but I decided to go with something else. I did consider making bookends with some of my dolls' initials, specially for those letters that I'm probably not going to use like the "V" or "Z".

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful project MC and explained so well. I have thought about these signs when I was planning my kitchen, I had seen full sized "BAKE" and other similar ones in the stores here. One could make different words to suit whatever diorama room one is creating.
    I noticed those stars are in different sizes, I wonder could you stack them to form a Christmas tree? I also thought one could add leaves to the fall wall plaque.
    I can see you experimenting with this idea and shall look forward to seeing more finished projects. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu! I didn't think of using the word "Bake", but it's a great idea if I ever make a kitchen diorama. You can definitely adapt it to whatever diorama you're making or just make seasonal ones.

      I did see some photos of "Fall" ones where the "A" was changed for a pumpkin or a leaf. The large and small stars are actually one piece, even though it doesn't look like that on the photo. I did think of making a "tree of stars" like the one your describing, after I saw this one from Maisons du Monde. It could be done, but I think it would be too big for Barbie size dolls.
      I'm already thinking about what can I do next. I might need another pack of letters.
      Big hugs to you too!

      Delete
  4. I love this so much! I've always like those home letters and they look so cute Barbie size. A XMAS one will be nice, I'm interested to see what you do with those wooden stars.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikki! I haven't done anything yet, but I would love to get the Xmas one ready for, well, Christmas. I haven't planned out yet what I'm going to do with those stars.

      My weekend was so busy that I didn't even turn on my computer to reply to comments! Hope yours was lovely too.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of this craft, I may end up doing it sometime. :D
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I have seen these wooden letters at the local craft store and even online. It is a great idea to use them to this! There are even other wooden sets that can be used for dolls. And you can use all kinds of words - for the seasons, love, hope and so on and then decorate for it. I have seen people use large letters for their names too.
    Enjoy the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Yes, I've seen some other stuff that could be used for dolls. I'm going to try to craft different decor for different seasons, but so far I've already failed at making something for Christmas. Hopefully 2022 will be a more productive year.
      You too, enjoy the new week ahead!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

How to make a doll TV that "works"

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)