Photo compilation: January-February 2022

Hello and welcome back to another Photo compilation. If this is your first time here, in this series, I usually share some of the photos I've been posting on Instagram the past two months, and sometimes I add something extra like a "behind the scenes" pic or a photo that I discarded. What a better way to kick-start March by looking at all the photos from January and February. 

I haven't taken many photos these past few months. I've mentioned several times that I haven't felt very inspired to take doll photos. So, to see if I could get some inspiration, I tried to go "back to basics" and take some photos with just some colorful cardstock and a doll. This is how I started taking photos, so I thought this could help me get inspired. 


I really didn't put much thought into it, just some bright colors and a doll. 



Once I started taking photos with the white and pink background, I started getting ideas for other color combinations. For the second combo, I mixed pink with lilac. 



One thing that I like to do on this type of photos is use crates as a prop, to either add contrast or "carry" the color from one side to the other. This photo of Kira is an example of the latter. 


I wanted to somewhat connect all the backgrounds by using one of the colors from the previous combination to the new one. For this, I went with blue and the same lilac from the photos above.


This photo of Lea is one of my favorites from the set, because of the color palette I created with the baby blue and pink crates. The one with Victoria is one of my favorites too because I really like her pose. 



I also published this photo that I took when I unboxed Linda's package, but it didn't make the final post. 


I took a break from photos to focus on some sewing projects (see my last post), but once the "sewing spree" was done, I decided to take some photos in my balcony. I didn't have any ideas for color combos and, since spring is coming, I thought it could look nice. I wanted to take some photos of Chloe in her new top, so here she is.


During this time of year, around 3 p.m., the sun hits the wall and a bit of the floor. That helped me create this effect on the photos, where the top part of the background looks overexposed, but you can see the dolls clearly. I also did use the "Portrait" mode of my phone, which blurred the background even more. 



That's pretty much all I have to share today. This is quite a short post, but, like I mentioned, I didn't take many photos. Even it being so short, it's taken me forever to finish it. I've been very anxious about everything going on in Ukraine, and I've had a difficult time focusing on anything. I don't like to get too serious in here, as there's already enough negativity in our day to day lives, but sometimes we have to acknowledge that, what happens in the real world affects us. 

Since I don't want to end this post on a negative note, I'll tell you that I've been making some progress in my sewing. Shasha and I have been working on something that I think we'll be finished in a month or less. I've also bought a couple of geraniums for my balcony, which I'll start cleaning and getting ready for spring soon. Not this weekend though, as we have just been hit by a storm.

I hope you're all doing well, and I'll see you soon.

Monster Crafts

Comments

  1. Well MC, these are just as lovely as ever. I love the clean graphic look of each photo. Your color sense is incredible! With everything going on in the world right now, I think it is hard to be inspired. But we must find a way to hold onto our own sanity in one way or another. I'm doing it through my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I'm glad that you like the color combos, as usually my photos start with an idea for a color palette, and the dolls and poses come after. It is definitely hard. I do try to find ways to keep me motivated and not get into my head, whether that's through sport or something creative. If I didn't do that, I would probably cry myself to sleep, which isn't healthy.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love the third photo, your photos are amazing as always. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinley! Lea looks very cute in that one!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am impressed by your photos. I really like the back background of your photos in two colors. This makes your models stand out more and the photos look more vibrant and full of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shasarignis! It depends on the colors you choose, as some might help the doll pop more than the other. You can very easily recreate those backgrounds by using two big sheets of colorful cardstock paper.
      Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I still love the rainbow colored crates, and I think Victoria photographs the best out of your crew. That picture of your dolls wearing the new clothes from Linda is pretty awesome too, but then I love bright colors. This might have been a good weekend for me to take outdoor photos since the weather was nice, but I had other things come up. Of course, not much has really started to turn green or bloom here. It's going back down to near freezing later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I do agree about Victoria, she's one of the dolls I enjoy photographing the most, alongside Chloe. That's probably the reason why they are in most of my photoshoots and posts. I also do like bright and fun colors, they bring so much happiness to the photos. I still need to make a purple crate, but I haven't gotten time for that.
      If it makes you feel better, here it's been raining since Friday, and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Linda! Since on Instagram you would see them on a grid, I wanted them to look connected. I'm doing better now at focusing on other things and not thinking so much about everything wrong in the world. You too, take care and big hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I think simple is sometimes best and I always love your colorblock backgrounds. The ones outside are really pretty too...it's nice to see warm light and so much green! We still have lots of snow on the ground from yesterday's snowstorm. I am looking forward to buying more flowers too. I just got a small bunch of tulips for the kitchen and it's amazing how much they brighten things up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farrah! I do agree, often simple works better. The warmth of the light can be also due to the fact that the walls of my balcony are painted yellow, so that could be making it look even warmer. Yes, plants do brighten things up, and they look amazing on doll photos. That's why I've gotten the geraniums, they're so bright and they are pretty resistant, although our winter is pretty mild and we very rarerly get snow.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos as always! The simple colorful backgrounds make a huge difference and some dolls just pop with the right background, as the second one with pink and lilac. Love it. And the crates look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! I do agree, the right background makes them pop and can create a nice contrast with their skin tones or their clothes.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Doll review: Barbie Looks model 12 (curvy)

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Tagged: Liebster Award