Photo Compilation: August 2020


September has just started, and I think it's time for another "Photo compilation" post. Some of you seemed to enjoy my last compilation, so I thought I could keep doing this type of posts and make them a monthly thing if I have enough photos, or every other month if I have just a few. The idea is to share here some photos that I take for Instagram or even those that haven't been posted anywhere, with a little backstory about them. 

Let's start with the first photos of August. Technically, I posted 2 of these on July 30 and 31st, but I wanted to share them here all together. As I mentioned in my previous compilation, I want to get better at group photos, so I've been practicing. For these photos, I grouped some of my girls and took some photos in different poses. I tried to dress all the dolls in outfits that worked together and didn't clash, but not necessarily matched. I think it would have looked weird if all the dolls were wearing casual clothes and one was wearing a fancy dress. Here's the first pic that I got. 

Barbie Group doll photography True Blue
Left to right: Kim, Daya, Skylar and Victoria


For the second pic, I tried to switch the poses a bit, to make them different. These photos were quite hard to take, as it's quite difficult to make all the dolls look at the camera. 



I added a chair and a few more dolls in an attempt to switch things up a bit more.

Top: Victoria, Sasha and Rosie. Bottom Kim and Lea


I also tried something different with Lea, Kim and Victoria and it looked pretty good on my phone, but when I edited the photos I found out that Lea was too out of focus and discarded the photos.


With a similar concept, I made a miniseries of photos with the teal wall you saw on
my last post. This was way before I even started working on the paneling pieces. I love this color, it really suits a wide variety of colors and skin tones, plus, it looks very appropriate for summer.

Barbie doll photography Sea Breeze background
Priya, Lea and Miranda


This was my favorite from all the pics. I love the way Asha is posing.

Left to right: Lea, Rosie, Victoria and Asha


I got invited again to go to the house with a pool and I managed to take more dolly pics. I didn't make a whole post about it here, but I've been sharing some on Instagram, like these photos of Victoria.



This is my favorite photo from this set. I don't know why, she just looks beautiful.

Doll in a pool photography

Kim also got her chance to enjoy the pool. I wasn't happy with the photos I took of her the first time, so I took a few more.  


Before going this time, I made a short list of photo ideas, so I could make the most of my time there, and Mr. Monster came up with this idea for this particular shot. 



That same day I also managed to take a few pics of my dolls in the garden, like this lovely pic of Kim. I think she looks lovely, despite the natural grass looking a bit out of proportion. 


I wanted to take a couple of pics that showed the dolls interacting between them instead of just posing. I came with this idea of having a doll taking a photo of another doll. They  were a pain to take! The dolls wouldn't stand up despite using a wooden dowel and it took me so many attempts to get one that I felt was decent enough. I still am not super happy with it, but mistakes and misses are part of the learning process.



Since Lea had the camera already on her hands, I took a photo of her holding it. It wasn't planned, but I think it turned out right and I'm quite happy with the result. For anyone curious, I used poster putty to help her hold the camera. 



I've also been joining some Instagram events, like one hosted by @barbiedreamdivas to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of her dolls, Ben and Lisa, wedding. She announced the event back in early July, but I forgot to bookmark the invitation for the event, and completely forgot what was it about or who hosted it. I found the invitation again 2 days before the event took place, and I had to take the photos in a hurry. I could have passed, but this person is always super nice to me and I felt bad not giving it a try. So, I got a few props that I had at home and took a couple of pics. It looks a bit like how new rich people decorated in the 90s, but it is what it is.




The golden frames you can see are some fancy coasters that I bought on sale at a decor store called Casa. That weird golden ball on top of the white shelf I made it out of a toilet paper roll following this tutorial. Both dresses were made by Atelierni Shasha, but sadly they are discontinued now. 

Chloe and Victoria


Sometimes I also share pics that I take while working on a post, but never make the final cut. These photos of Frankie Stein and 13 Wishes Howleen were taken for my Colorful crates post, but I didn't include them because I felt like the post was already too long.

Picture day Frankie Stein Blue black and yellow crate
Frankie Stein


Howleen Wolf

I also didn't include this photo of my Barbie dolls. In fact, I believe I took this pic a few days later.



And those are pretty much my pics from August. Right now, I'm not very inspired to take doll pics, but I still have some content to post on Instagram from previous photoshoots. I've been so focused making crafts these past few weeks that I haven't really been in the mood to take photos. 

My next post is going to be a craft project that I've been working on for a few days now. This might be the last craft post I get to share before college starts, since those take me the longest to write and I don't have as much spare time during the school year. I will try to keep posting as regularly as possible, but it will be other type of content. I recently got the BMR 1959 Kira doll on sale, so let me know if you would be interested in a dedicated post. 

Hope you guys enjoyed this post. I'll see you in my next one.

Monster Crafts


You may also enjoy: 

Comments

  1. I like all of your pictures; you did a good job posing and framing them. I find that, even when I think that all of my dolls are looking at the camera, that may not be the case when I look at the photo I took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! Thanks, I'm glad that you like them. It happens the same to me, and I try to check them to make sure they are all looking before changing the set up. There must be a trick to make sure they'll all look at the camera, but I still haven't found it.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This post features some really lovely photos MC. I think the ones you took of Lea with her camera and the two of the MH girls with the crates are my favourites...especially the nice bright one of Halloween Wolf, I love the colours!

    I haven't been in the mood for taking photos either, but more because we are still in stage 4 lock down. :(
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu. The one with Lea holding the camera is also one of my favourites, I feel it's a bit different to the photos I usually take. Howleen is one of my faves to photograph, she's so bright that looks good almost against any background.

      Lockdown affects anyone differently, and I think it's pretty normal if you're feeling down. I hope you can find motivation to take photos or do something creative, maybe that will help you feel better about the situation.

      Big hugs to you too.
      Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda! Thanks, I'm glad you like them. The ones with the camera are also some of my favourites because they're a bit different to what I usually do.

    Yes, it's really hard! You have to adjust the dolls poses several times to make sure they're looking at the camera, and sometimes the dolls don't want to cooperate and fall.

    Casa stores seem to be originary from Belgium, but the way I wrote it seemed to imply that they're spanish. They are avaliable in quite a few european countries. They have lovely stuff, I've considered using some of their products as an inspiration for my miniatures, but I've never got around that.

    Thanks for your nice words. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and Victoria sure is photogenic! Love the photo with her and Chloe! And Asha looks great!
    Have not had any time to take photos of my dolls lately, I miss it a lot. The time just flies away in some strange way - it is already September! Can not believe it!
    Take care and enjoy the new week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina! Agree, Victoria is my favourite to photograph, she always looks great.

      Time really flies by when you're focusing studying, and you don't get much time to play with dolls. You may find more time as soon as you finish your course. Sooner than later I'll be back in college and I'll find myself in the same situation.

      Enjoy the new week you too!

      Delete
  5. Forgive me for the delay in responding. I'm trying to catch up on all my reading. I feel like you covered a lot of ground this summer and it is looking better and better. The backgrounds, the choice of colors, even the way the dolls are dressed is so cheerful and so....well summer! Sadly though, summer has ended. But then again, now comes autumn which itself is quite colorful. So I'll be interested to see what your girls will be up to with the colorful changing of the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, I haven't seen this comment earlier. Don't worry, I also haven't had much time for reading blogs lately, also adding to that the fact that the new blogger reader is a hot mess.

      I'm glad that you like my photos. I'm overall quite happy with what I've managed to do this summer. I feel like I'm improving and I'm glad to see that others think the same. Autum is actually my favourite season but, since I don't have many doll clothes, I dont' think my dolls have major outfit changes. It's something I should definitely start working on, but I always seem to be busy focusing in other projects.

      Thanks for your lovely comment

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

How to make a doll TV that "works"