How to: doll-size painted artwork

Wow, I can't believe it's June already! I feel like I'm just getting started with the content I have planned for 2021, but all of a sudden we're almost half through the year. I feel like I've got barely anything done, but at the same time, this is my 13th post this year, and my 160th post overall. It's not that I haven't done anything, but the "To-do" project list never seems to end. But I digress.

On my last photo compilation I mentioned that I did a painted artwork piece and was planning on doing a tutorial. Since it's a fairly easy project, I decided to work on a couple more pieces, to give more options and ideas to my readers. So, I hope that you like them. 


This post was meant to be up in late-May, but I have joined two courses that started the same day and, once I'm done studying, I don't feel like spending more time in front of the computer. One of the courses has a limited time to complete, so I need to hurry up if I want to get that diploma. On top of that, I got sick a couple of days ago with some pounding headaches and couldn't do anything besides sleep. Luckily, I'm better now, so let's get into this craft. 

For this craft, you will need:

  • A cereal or cookie box.
  • Scissors.
  • Glue stick.
  • Sanding paper.
  • Craft paint and brushes.
  • A ruler. 

I start by cutting open a cereal box and drawing a rectangle. I decided to make it 9,5x7 cm (3.75 x2,76 inches) because I want it to look like a big piece of artwork without looking massive. Draw 3 and cut them out. 

Glue the pieces together using a glue stick and let it dry with some weight on top.


Once the glue has dried down, smooth the edges using some fine sanding paper. Be gentle with it.


I gave it a coat of white acrylic paint, to create a base for my painting. 


I saw on the @barbiestyle Instagram some doll size artwork that I thought I could make a similar version off, so I decided to give it a try. You can check out the original Barbie Style post. I decided to make my own version of it, so I decided to go with a different color. I'm using Coral Blush, from Americana Acrylics because I want it to be bright and colorful.


Next, I went with the color Sea Breeze, also from Americana Acrylics. I gave some brush strokes, mostly starting from the bottom and going upwards. Then, I splattered some paint, to mimic the original piece.


Looking back at it now, it doesn't look too similar to the one on Barbie Style, but at that time I wasn't mad at it. 

I made that first painting back in April, and it wasn't until mid-May that I started working on the other two. I was working on my last post, so I didn't have the time or the space to work on it. But, finally, I cleared my craft table and started working.

For the other two, I tried to make something different. I was quite happy with the size I of my first painting, so I decided to make another one that same size. If it worked once, it should work twice. Again, I drew 3 pieces and cut them out. 


For the third one, I decided to make it a bit smaller, so I can try something different. I made it 6 x 7,5 cm (2,36 x  2,95 in). I drew the pieces and cut them out. 


I did the same thing as with the first one. Glue the pieces together and sand the edges to make everything smooth.

Now, it's time for my favorite part: painting. For the big one, I gave it a coat of white acrylic and let it dry. 


For this one, I wanted to make something tropical, so I googled something like "tropical leaf drawing" and, taking an image as a guide, I started drawing mine. I'm not the greatest at drawing, but I want to give it a go. If you don't feel confident drawing, you can always print your image and use some tracing paper to transfer it.


Once I was happy with my drawing, I carefully erased the lines to fade them, so I won't have trouble covering them. I removed the leftovers from the eraser and started re-drawing my leaf with some acrylic paint and a thin brush.


The color I'm using is Festive Green from Americana Acrylics. It came in a 16 color set that I got for Christmas, and it really came in handy for this project.


Once I was done, I colored big part of the leaf, leaving some blank spaces for highlight and to draw the veins of the leaf. I used some yellow, mixed in with the green, for the highlights, but also to draw the veins. 


Then I used some dark green (Forest Green) to create some shadows under the highlights and towards de center of the leaf. 


This is what we got. I just need to clean it with some white acrylic and call it a day. It reminds me of some paintings AtelierniShasha does for her art shop (hers are much better though). 


For the last one, I wanted to do something different, but I didn't know exactly what. I knew I wanted something in line with nowadays trends, that could as well be sold at Urban Outfitters. I looked for some inspiration online, and finally found something on Etsy. I don't recall the name of the store and I can't find the link, but I found it by searching "modern artwork" on Google. You can find similar artwork at Kate Decor Prints and Arteex, both on Etsy.  

For this one, I gave it a first coat of Americana's Light Buttermilk, which is creamy/ off-white color. Next, I started free-hand drawing a few lines. I'm using Acualux in the color Orange, which is a darker not-so-vibrant orange. I didn't sketch anything beforehand, so I really went full out here. 

Drawing orange lines

Once I was happy with the dark orange lines, I added a few details with a lighter orange color. The one I'm using is Bright Orange, again, by Americana Acrylics.

This is the finished result. I'm quite happy with it.

Here's a look at the three paintings. They're quite different between them, don't you think so?

Now it's the turn to try out how they look on camera. First, I set up my Dove Grey wall and brought Victoria, to get an idea.

Although I have already tried it, let's see how the abstract one looks against the Dove Gray wall. Tate is really happy to have this new artwork around the house.

Even though I like it, I feel like my gray backdrop is a bit dull, so I decided to take the rest of the photos using my Sea Glass wall, which adds a subtle pop of green. I love how the plants and the green on the painting work with the wall. 

Now let's see how both the tropical and the boho painting look together. 


I do think that I would need some matching artwork to the ones I already have, but so far, I'm happy with the result. I've been trying to make my backgrounds look busier, because sometimes I feel they look quite empty, and artwork helps to cover  the empty spaces on the wall. 

On a side note, remember that I told you that Feedburner would stop working soon? I have found an alternative, Follow.it, but I'm still figuring things out with it.  I managed to find my e-mail subscribers list, but it turned out that lots of them were spam accounts, so with a few exceptions, I still don't know who was subscribed by e-mail. I haven't re-subscribed anyone so, if you want to re-subscribe yourself, on the sidebar you can find a box where you can introduce your e-mail. You should be notified every time I post, maybe a few hours later. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post. I'm not sure what I will do next, but I have an idea for a specific photo, so I might do that and write an in-depth post. Finally, I've managed to get some fabric, so soon I'll start sewing. One of my projects includes a daybed, so I'll need to make a few pillows for that. Sounds like the perfect sewing project for a beginner. 

So, what do you guys think of this project? Are you working on any doll-related projects? 

I hope you're all staying well and healthy.

Monster Crafts


For other craft projects, follow the doll crafts tag.

Update, January 2022: I have just published a YouTube video making a 4th design. Subscribe to my channel to find out more video tutorials. 

Comments

  1. Applause! The new artwork does brighten your scenes. Thanks for sharing your processes and the results. This project looks promising: like you can expand your creativity. I look forward to seeing more of your artwork. There's a project I'd like to do with my dolls. I've got other blog post ideas I need to write and some doll sorting to do also. Pause to cross my fingers for luck.

    I'll subscribe to your blog. See you online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D7ana! Thanks, I'm glad that you like them. I do agree, this mini-artwork can allow me to get creative and they're easier to do than a larger piece. I should make more in the future, I love painting and drawing, despite not being the best at it. Hope we can see that project you're working on very soon.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. What a fun project, MC! With abstract art, the possibilities are limitless. And yes, it adds a nice element of interest ,to the background. My goodness..your girls might even consider starting their own art gallery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April. I do agree, you can make unlimited artwork, and make it to compliment the color palette of your backgrounds or dioramas. I did think about creating a mini art gallery or art studio, it could be an interesting set up for photos.

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda! Thanks, I'm glad you like them. I'm trying to make my photos look more realistic, so I'm happy to hear that I'm achieving that. It's nice to have a pop of something, without taking over the whole background. Thanks for the trust on my sewing skills, but I'm scared. I did try to sew a while back and didn't go well.
    You too, have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me! How do you ever manage to find time to create all these wonderful dolly projects, then photograph them and do a post on your blog, and still manage to do new couses??

    I am sorry to read you have been ill, I hope you are feeling much better now MC.

    I shall look forward to the daybed project.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! Being unemployed gives you some spare time, and the courses I'm doing aren't as intense as University was. I don't have that much spare time really, and it takes me a long time to finish a project. After doing house chores, studying, job seeking and the mandatory workout; most of my spare time is dedicated to both my blogs and doll stuff. I wish I could get more things done though and my time-management skills could be better. But I take this as a compliment.

      Thank you for your well wishes, I'm doing much better now. Just catching up on some slack work I have.

      Hugs to you too!

      Delete
  5. Awesome artwork, your tallent is minded

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great project! I have been having some trouble with sizes, but now I have something to go by. I made a document with different sizes of beautiful pictures from different places on the net and wanted to print that out and use those pictures as a inspiration. I should continue with that now that it is summer and I have some time over.

    I really love all of the artwork you made for your dolls, but especially the tropical leaf. So beautiful!

    I am amazed too that it is June. It feels like it was just a short while ago I thought that April will be tough with my exams. Time really flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! I feel you, size is the hardest thing to get when you're doing a project from scratch, so I'm glad that my post is going to be useful for you. I know that printing artwork would be easier, but I don't have a color printer. Not complaining though, I actually had a lot of fun doing this.

      I like the leaf too. I tried not to obsess with making it too realistic, and I'm quite happy with the result. Hopefully I'll paint more tropical related things.

      Glad to see that you're back in the blogosphere!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this new tutorial! Artwork is really a nice background to add life to a photo. I haven't done anything myself, but I have a really nice painting that a blogger named corsetkitten made on a mini canvas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I do agree, about it adding life, plus you can use it as a pop of color. On my statistics, I used to see visits from a site called corsetkitten, but I thought it was spam and never visited back. I must check her site out.

      Delete
    2. Corsetkitten's blog doesn't seem to exist anymore, but she is on Instagram.

      Delete
  8. So glad you are feeling better after your rest MC!

    I love the tropical leaf design, and the orange one reminds me of the abstract postcard packs that IKEA sometimes have. They match your dioramas very well. I hope to try some of your tutorials when I get chance. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikki! I haven't paid attention to IKEA's artwork in general, but looking at it now it could be a great inspiration for future miniature paintings. It would make me very happy if someone tried one of my tutorials. Don't forget to let me know about it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy