Photo compilation: May-June 2021

Hello again. It's almost July! Can you believe that the year is flying by so fast? We're in the middle of the summer, with the world starting to open up again, and it's time for another photo compilation. 

A while back, I decided to start slowing down my publishing on Instagram. I used to post almost every single day, at least 6 times per week, and I was getting overwhelmed. I had to be taking pics constantly, which took time from crafting and writing blog posts. It was just too much, preparing 5-7 photos a week, crafting, running two blogs, plus regular life stuff such as cooking and doing laundry. So, since there will be fewer photos, these compilations will be every other month for the most part. But let's get into the actual photos. 

Victoria laying in a turquoise and green background

March started up pretty colorful, with this photoshoot of Victoria. I had this color combination in the back of my mind, and I had an urge to make it a reality. It's just two simple colorful card stock sheets. 

Victoria turquoise and green background

I also used two crates to bring more color to the photo. This has to be my favorite from the set. 

Victoria turquoise and green background with pink and yellow crates

I liked the result so much that I decided to take more photos with this color palette. Since I didn't want to feature the same doll again, I brought Shea and Kim to the set. 



The two blue card stock sheets are actually different colors, but they're quite similar and most people won't notice the difference. 

These next photos were actually published at some point between February and March, but I forgot to post them on my last photo compilation, so I thought I would include them as well. I've barely shared any photos on Instagram that I hadn't shared here before, so these will add more content to this post. 


I gave another coat of paint to my True Blue wall, and it looks better, although still patchy. I don't love these set of photos, but I like the color combo. 



I have also taken more photos in my balcony, but this time I tried something a bit different. I took out a big folding table (the one that I used to use as my photo table) outside and placed a few plants on it. As you can see, it occupies almost all of my balcony. I also took a small laptop tray to create different heights to place my plants. This is how I set everything up:


And these are the photos that I managed to take. 


This photo was a struggle, because I wanted the sky to appear, and it looked washed out. I used the manual adjustments on my phone and finally managed to get it right. This is my favorite out of the 3.


Last but not least, some photos that I took in the house with a pool. These were taken back in March, and I hadn't published them yet. It was Tate and Kira's first visit to the house, and I managed to get a few cute photos of them.



This last photo I used for #monday4dolls because the theme was "Cottage and countryside" and I thought it could fit. I haven't been very motivated to participate in this challenge. At first, I would take specific photos for the challenge during the weekend, but I would never get reposted, and my photos flew under the radar. Then I decided to just participate if the theme aligned with my plans or if I already had photos that could fit the theme. 


I want to finish this compilation by making a recap of the first half of the year. One of the biggest accomplishments is that, back in February, I finally graduated from University. It was so hard and it took me forever to finish my degree because, at first, I was working full time and I barely got any time when I got home to study. For years, almost all of my spare time went into studying, so that's why I haven't managed to do most of the things I would have loved to do here on the blog. Now that I'm not studying, and I'm unnemployed, I have more spare time to work on 2-3 doll blog posts a month, plus an extra post on my cooking blog

When it comes to my doll-related projects, I'm really happy with everything that I have achieved these past 6 months. I've published at least 2 blog posts per month, which is really great, and I've been very constant. Some of the projects I've done, like the wainscot, had been on the back of my mind for a long time and I finally managed to execute them. My favorite post so far is Outdoors, but make it indoors. Having a doll-size outdoors scene is something that I wanted for so long, and I managed to get done it with just a few elements.

One of my goals for this year is to learn how to sew. So far I've just made my first doll-size pillow, which looks a bit rough, but at least it's a start. I want to make a few more pillows to practice hand stitching and get use to the sewing machine, and then try to move on to doll clothes. I'd love to make a few simple basic garments to expand my dolls' wardrobe, specially for the new body types. My curvy BMR gal has been wearing the same outfit since last summer!


On a personal note, we're doing well here. I'm still doing as many courses as I can and job seeking. I'd love to find a job as soon as possible, because we need to finish furnishing our home, but in the meantime I'm over here having fun with dolls. A few days ago, Mr. Monster had the first dose of the Covid vaccine, and luckily he didn't have any side effects, except for a sore arm. Having him received the first shot already has given me some sense of relief, although I know that the pandemic is not over yet. Everyone in our family is vaccinated except me and my nephews, but hopefully I'll receive mine before the summer ends, and we can get back to somewhat of a normal life. 

I hope you are all doing well, staying safe and healthy, and I'll see you on my next post.

Monster Crafts


PS. Remember that the old e-mail subscription system has stopped working and we have a new one, Follow.it. If you want to continue receiving updates from this blog, you'll need to re-subscribe using the box on the left column. I have re-subscribed a few people, but you'll need to confirm that you want to keep receiving updates from me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 


Comments

  1. Hello! It really is crazy how fast time flies by. Midsummer’s Eve has passed by and we are soon in July. This year we will have a late vacation and we hope that we all will be vaccinated by then. Husband and I are fully vaccinated and got a few and mild side effects. I miss our cottage and the forest life, have not been there for two years now. Gladly our relatives who live there have been helping us to maintain the garden and house, so that it is not a complete mess the day we can travel there. Hope that it all goes well with the vaccination for you and Mr. Monster.

    It can be rather overwhelming with the social media and the need to always being on track and updating. I hope you find a balance between your blogs and Instagram that feels good.

    I love the photos you have taken. The colorful backgrounds and brightness really brings out the dolls. The crates pop up too. Great way to set up plants at the balcony. I think that the photos you took turned out lovely. Hope that it is going well with the sewing. It can be a bumpy road while learning and I know that I have some more learning to do too. My father learned me to crochet and my mum learned me to cross stitch. I think your pillow looks great!

    Have a lovely new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Glad to hear that you're fully vaccinated now and your side effects were mild. Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy some holidays at your cottage later this summer. I also hope everything goes well and we don't get terrible side effects.

      I think that I'm finding that balance. I've also decided to hide my likes on Instagram, so I can focus on having fun without having those numbers distracting me. I could write a whole post about that.

      Glad to hear that you like the photos. I love colorful backgrounds, they really do help make a doll pop. I understand that learning to sew is a long process, and there's always room for improvement. I hand stitched that pillow and it didn't go bad, until it was time to close it. Hopefully, later this week I'll sew one or two more and soon I'll find the courage to make a dress for a doll.

      You too, have a lovely new week ahead.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! The balcony pics were quite challenging, but I like the result. It gives some outdoors feel for when I can't really go outside.

    I've never been truly interested in sewing by itself, but I don't seem to find any doll clothes that I like from Mattel, and usually here they're so overpriced. And, who knows? Maybe I'll fall in love with it. So far I had fun making the pillow and I'm planning to do some more later this week. I'd love to see a sewing blog from you, specially if you showed the whole process.

    Yeah, social media can be quite time consuming. I'm one of those people that do everything: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest... but lately I'm relaxing a bit. It's just not worth it.

    Good luck with your next shot! I hope you and your husband won't have any side effects.

    Big hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your photos MC, especially the ones taken on your balcony. I really admire how clear your photos are, you must have a steady hand.

    Sewing can be both wonderful and frustrating, but so rewarding when you see a garment you have made yourself looking so beautiful on your doll. Beginning with cushions is a good idea, then maybe try making some sheets and doona/duvet covers. Simple things will build your confidence.

    I have always limited my social media as I hate the pressure that comes with having to keep them all updated. Making time to do what makes you happy is important, so I think you have made a good decision for your own sanity.

    My and hubby's 2nd jab is on the 6th. I hope you manage to get yours soon.
    In the meantime, stay safe!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu. I also do take some blurry photos, specially outdoors, when the sun hits directly on my phone and I can't see how the photo looks.

      I do agree about it being rewarding, I felt so accomplished when I finished the pillow, even though it's nothing great. Duvet covers are also on my plan, as well as a cover for my pink Ikea couch in a realistic color.

      I started with social media as a way to promote my blog, but it doesn't really work, at least for me. I did get caught into trying to post as often as possible that it became a lot and took time from the actual blog. I prefer to focus on writting posts here, the interaction I get with my readers is much more rewarding.

      Hope your second jab goes well and you don't get side effects. I hope to have my first dose in a month or so. In the meantime, I'll be careful.
      Big hugs to you too!

      Delete
  4. MC I love these photos! Turquoise and lime green is one of my favourite color combos! Love the little pop of color from the crates too.

    I totally understand how overwhelming instagram can be and you did well posting 6 times a week with everything else you had going on. I knew I had to leave IG when I was neglecting housework and losing sleep if I was getting likes.

    The true blue wall is very nice, it gives off a Santorini vibe and the balcony pics came out great!

    The doll pillow is so cute, it's just like a miniature IKEA throw pillow. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

    Good luck on the job search, I hope you find something soon.

    Have a great week ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cuteek! I also like that color combo a lot, it's very summer-looking. I do see how the blue color reminds you of Santorini. I should probably use it if I wanted some sort of "beach house" diorama.

    Yes, I did managed to do so, but I was always focused on getting content for either the blog or Instagram, and I wasn't actually getting much in return for the effort I was making. I think it's better for me to focus on having fun than having a schedule.

    My next sewing projects are probably going to be more doll pillows. As for other craft projects, I'm already working on a tutorial for a wall I made a few weeks ago.

    Thanks for the good luck wishes. Have a great week too.



    ReplyDelete
  6. It always makes me happy when someone else wants to learn to sew! I hope that you are successful in making some clothes for your dolls. It's nice to be able to have something besides Mattel to rely on.

    I really only got on Instagram to promote my doll blog, and I don't really like Instagram as much as I was hoping I would. It makes it difficult for me to want to do much on that platform.

    I like your outdoor pictures. I should think about finding a way to take outdoor pictures myself. There are certainly a lot of beautiful places around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I also hope I can make a few simple garments. I know I could always buy from Etsy stores, but I'm trying to save money and my dolls would need more clothes that I'll be able to buy.

      Me too, I joined social media to attrack more readers, but it hasn't worked so far. I feel like Instagram and blogs have very different types of audiences. What I don't like about Instagram is that I can't upload from my computer and I have to type the caption with my phone, which I hate. Having my spell-checker in Spanish doesn't help either.

      I really encourage you to try some outdoor photography, they bring so much life to the photos. At first I used to be very concerned about people staring at me, but I've never had any unpleasant interaction. I guess people don't really care that much.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I knew that Instagram was mostly about the likes for a majority of people, but I was hoping that doll people would be different. It all seems to be about how many followers and likes you can get. I use my tablet to post on Instagram, but I still dislike using the keyboard on my tablet. I have the same problems with spell-check when I type in Spanish or German. :)

      I want to get a monopod, and then I'll probably try outdoor photos again.

      Delete
    3. Yes! This pretty much sums up how I feel. I thought people would be more interested in doll-related stuff and conversations rather than numbers. I used to post from my tablet, but I realized it was cropping my photos in a weird way.

      The monopod sounds interesting, I would be interested in seeing some sort of "review" if you get one. I have one of those flexible tripods for phones, but I barely use it.

      Delete
  7. Hi MC. Another great post as you look back on the first six months of this year. Your backgrounds are always clean and crisp, though I do admit loving the ones taken on your balcony. And yes, coming up with even 2 blog posts per month is quite an undertaking! At first the ideas and writing comes easy. Eight years ago I was posting 3-4 times a month. Now, I'm lucky if I can get 2 per month! That little pillow you made may seem like nothing, but it is a huge achievement when you are just starting to sew. (It's not easy getting the sides to perfectly line up perpendicular to the top and bottom!) So congratulations. It will be interesting to watch your journey into doll clothes. The key...don't get frustrated. Remember there are lots of folks out there for whom sewing doesn't come easy, so feel free to share your challenges and show how you resolved them! When I did my shoe tutorials, on the last installment, I showed a photo of my very first (horrible) pair of shoes so that people wouldn't think I was "naturally" talented. Btw....congratulations on your university graduation. You now have your whole life ahead of you. The world has just been through a "reset" stage, so the rest of your life is whatever you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I'm quite happy with the ones in my balcony, they have this open space feel to them. I have lots of ideas, but sometimes executing them is hard. A craft project takes time, writting, editing the photos and sometimes I have trouble finding the supplies that I need because I don't live in a big city.

      If you look closely, the bottom part looks crooked because I didn't know how to properly close it, so I winged it. Hopefully, the next one will be better, since I've watched a tutorial on how to properly stich it. Yes, my idea with sewing is sharing the journey, rather than a tutorial, because I'm not an expert.

      Thank you. It was very hard to get through college, specially when I was working full-time, but it was worth it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy