Photo Compilation: June-July 2020

Hi again! I hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic summer.

As I told you on one of my latest post, I've been thinking on sharing some photos that I take for Instagram and don't post here or those photos that, for some reason, never get published. The idea is to share them here and explain a little bit the inspiration and, if I can, share a little behind the scenes. 

Let's start with some Instagram pics. I took this for an event organized by @shrunken_dreams. For those of you who aren't familiar with these Instagram events, they're often organized to celebrate something or just to have fun. The person that organizes it sets a date and a theme and often provides a tag so you can find all the related posts. On that day, you share a pic following the theme and using the tag (hashtag), and the organizer often interacts with you and shares your content. It's a great way to find new accounts to follow on the platform, but also it provides a little challenge for your photos, since you sometimes have to get creative to fit the challenge. This event in particular was organized to celebrate that @shrunken_dreams had reached 1.000 followers and the theme was white gold and black. The event took place the day after I finished school, so I took the photos in a hurry. I didn't have time to work on a craft to fit the theme, so I had to work with what I had at home. This is one of the photos I came up with.


This is one of the photos that I took and edited for the challenge, but eventually didn't publish. I do like it, but I found others that I took more interesting than this one.



I used white card stock paper for the wall, and a black glitter card stock for the accent. The dolls are wearing a combination of doll clothes I already had, including a dress by AtelierniShasha. The necklace is from an old accessory pack if I remember correctly.

Another Instagram event is #monday4dolls organized by @bella_belladoll. This is a weekly event that takes place every Monday, and each week is a different theme, that is announced every Friday. The good thing about this challenge is that you can participate only the weeks that you want to and isn't as exhausting as a month-long challenge. On July 20th, the theme was "Shoes" and these are the pics that I took for the challenge:



Here's a little behind the scenes of the pic with Victoria. I did end up inclining the ring light more, until it was parallel to the table. 



I don't only take pics for challenges, I also try to come up with my own content. After my BMR 1959 review I wanted to take some pics of her with a light blue background, because I thought it would contrast nicely with her red dress. Here's one of the shots I got.



I mostly take photos of individual dolls, but I'm trying to get better at group photos (or, at least, pairs). For this photo I tried to give it an urban style, like the dolls are models in a streetwear catalog. I'm not sure if I got the vibe and it took me forever to get the right shot, but I'm quite happy with the result.



Since I didn't like the BMR 1959 fashions, I redressed her with this outfit that came with the So Sporty Fashionista. I don't love this outfit, but I like it better than the red dress and it feels more summer appropriate. The colors of her outfit gave me the inspiration for the color palette in this set up. 





Before my outdoor photo shoot and after my fail trying to make my Dolls in a Pool part 2, I took some pics of Asha indoors with a floatie. I wanted to do something fun and summer themed, despite not being outdoors. This is the photo that I was the happiest with.


This is one that I discarded. For some reason, I wasn't very happy with it after editing.



I also have some pics from previous photo shoots that I haven't shared here, like this one from Rosie. I'm not super happy with it because the colors look a bit too saturated, but I like the background. 



Some other pics from my A Day by the Pool post that I haven't published here. The first one isn't my favorite, but I like to post my photos on Instagram in sets of 3.




That is all from me today. I'm currently working on Part 2 of my Mix and Match backgrounds post, plus a couple of crafts. I don't know what I will post next, it depends on which craft I finish first. I'm quite in a crafting mood lately, and I have so many ideas for future posts. Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to execute everything I have in my head before the school year starts but, since this year I have fewer classes, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to post more. 

Hope you guys enjoyed this compilation of dolly pics. As usual, let me know what you think in the comment section, as well as if you have any ideas for future photo shoots.

Take care.

Monster Crafts.



Other posts you may enjoy:


Let's keep in touch: 
Instagram     Facebook    Twitter     Tumblr




Comments

  1. I like the first pic with the floatie! Also, that's a nice couch and I love your light! I find lighting for pictures the hardest part... Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn. The couch is from an Ikea set called "Huset". I use a ring light for my photos, but if you can't afford one right now, natural light can do wonders. I'm glad that you like my pics and I hope you have a happy weekend too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! I'm glad that you like my pics and that you find them fun. I want my photos to be overall happy and, since Barbie dolls have a bit of a cartoony face, I don't think a super glamurous shot would really suit them. Or at least I wouldn't know how to do that.
    The idea behind that shoe pic you mention is that they're friends that go shoe shopping and things get out of hand...

    Thank you so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photos. I didn't know about the Instagram contests. They sound like fun.

    Thanks again for showing how you take photos. I like the vivid backgrounds you have selected. I think they go well with the fashionable outfits .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorothy! I'm glad you like the photos. The challenges offer you a chance to try something different that you would normaly do.

      Most of my backgrounds are just big sheets of colored card stock paper. They're quite affordable and I'm sure you can find them at most stationary stores.

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I love the clarity and vibrancy of your photos. The two-toned backgrounds at the top of the post is quite interesting and I can see a number of practical applications for this sort of thing. My tastes however, show a preference to the outdoor photos. Personally, I love the saturated colors because they give a vibrant pop and bring to life the doll in the foreground. The natural daylight adds highlights and shadows that also make the doll appear to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! Thanks, I'm glad you like them. I've used two tone backgrounds several times in the past, and they look more interesting than just one flat color. I love outdoor photos, but they harder for me to take. I do agree that natural light brings more life into the photos, but I prefer when the sun isn't hitting so hard and doesn't create such a harsh line.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. It is so wonderful when the crafting mood just hits you. Have not experienced that in a while. Mostly been deep down in critical analyzing about Harry Potter and his world. But soon it is time to send in the next essay and after that I hope to get some time to take photos and play with dolls.
    I do like the events on Instagram. Have not joined any for a long time. The latest was a doll power challenge, and it was fun!
    The photos you have posted on Instagram and here are very beautiful. The shoe event sounded like a fun one and the photos are great! And the photos taken outdoors have a different light - the daylight does a lot!
    Take care and enjoy the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Agree, it's great, crafting puts me in such a good mood. I also know that feeling of overanalyzing your own work. I do that more often than not.

      I like the events because they offer you both the chance to find new accounts and a little challenge for your doll pics, but sometimes they're so many that they feel overwhelming. .

      Thanks, I'm glad you find them beautiful. The shoe one was challenging, but I was happy with the results. I want to take more pics outdoors, but once summer is over, I will try to figure out how to do that from my own house.

      Hope you also have a great week.

      Delete
  6. Me gustan todos de sus fotos, pero cada uno tiene su propia idea de como sus fotos debe aparacer.

    I think your "urban streetwear" photo makes your dolls look like they're modeling. They could be in America's Next Top Model, in one of the early competitions, before things get all crazy.

    I keep thinking about taking part in one of @bella_belladoll's challenges, but I haven't yet. I think tomorrow's theme is "animals," so maybe I could manage that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Barb. Tu español es estupendo!

      Thanks, I'm glad that you think they look like they're modeling. I never watched the american version, but I watch the first season of the spanish version and it was too much drama and too little fashion, so I got tired of it.

      I won't be taking part in today's challenge because I'll be participating in another one by a smaller account, but I will try to participate in upcoming Monday challenges.

      Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  7. I like your approach to photography MC, it's simple and very precise, the uncluttered backgrounds really make the eyes focus on the dolls. I particularly like the colour combination you used with the two dolls in your urban shoot.

    Weather here is very cold, with icy winds off the Antarctic, so I'm going back to sewing in front of the fire.
    Stay safe and big hugs,
    X
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu. Thanks, I'm glad you like the way I take pics. When I started taking pics I didn't have many props (not that I have plenty now), so I had to make the most with what I had.

      I love cold weather, I can't with such hot weather. Hope you're enjoying your time off sewing and sitting by the fire.

      Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  8. These photos are really lovely MC, I love the photo that you actually discarded, it looks great.
    I have some 'pool toys' somewhere, I must look out my props as I only remember that I have them when we're in the wrong season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Thanks, I'm glad you liked them. I thought it was cute when I took it, but then I felt it looked too unnatural. I second guess myself a lot when it comes to doll photos.
      That has also happened to me, but the good news it's that, when you find them, it will be summer in the other hemisphere.

      Have a nice weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy