How to: doll-size wooden pergola

Hello again! Long time, no see! I knew that I wouldn't be able to work on the blog for a few weeks, but I didn't expect to be gone for a whole month. To be honest, it's been a combination of having some stuff to take care off and lack of motivation. The fact that I don't have AC in my craft room while we've been having 40ºC temperatures hasn't really helped. But despite the heat, I got myself to work on this project here and there, and it's finally finished. 


While I was making this project, I had a few setbacks and I made some mistakes along the way, which made this project take longer than I expected. The good thing about mistakes is that they serve as a learning experience, both for me and for anyone reading this. There's no point in pretending that everything I do is perfect. I also did watch My Froggy Stuff's video after I came up with my design, which eventually didn't make me change much of my design. 

Before I get into this craft, I must warn you that this isn't super easy, and it implies some sawing. However, I will try to suggest some alternatives that might make it easier for everyone. This is what I used:

  • Square wooden dowels, 1cm thickness (25/64 or 0,39 inches).
  • Wooden batten, 1cm thickness. I believe these are often used as molding or as a trim. 
  • Saw.
  • Popsicle sticks.
  • Glue. I used both white glue and hot glue.
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Wood stain or craft paint. 

Note: All of my craft projects are thought from the perspective of an adult. Kids should not do this without the supervision of an adult. 

If you read my crate console post, I mentioned that I had been looking for square wooden dowels high and low and wasn't able to find them. But one day, at a DIY store, I saw a long wooden batten that had a thickness that could be suitable for crafts, so I got it. It is 2,4 meters long (7,87 feet), so I thought I could have plenty. Originally, I bought it to make a daybed, but then I came up with this idea and decided to prioritize it. As it usually happens, once I had found an alternative, I found the square wooden dowels. In order to make my life easier, I decided to use both the batten and the dowels for this craft. 

Dowel (left) and batten (right)

The dowels are around 30 cm long (11,81 inches), which I thought would be a perfect size. I always start by planning out the design, first by drawing it and then laying down the pieces. This is how the "roof" is going to look like. It's going to be 30x31cm, with a spacing of 5cm between the beams (1,97 inches). 


Since the dowels are slightly slimmer than the batten, I decided to use them for the inside parts of the pergola, and use the batten to create a frame. 

I start by measuring and cutting two pieces that are the same size as the dowels. Due to the size of the batten, sawing got a bit complicated and I needed some help of Mr. Monster. As an alternative, you could make all of this using the wooden dowels, and adjust the spacing between the beams to fit in. 


Then, I had to plan out my design again, so I could make sure the other two outside pieces were the perfect size. Due to the spacing and irregular sizes of the beams, it turned out to be 31 cm. Take your time doing this to make sure the size is perfect, and then cut down two pieces.

If your cuts aren't very clean, you can sand the pieces to remove any imperfections. 

Using white glue, I glued the pieces in place and let it dry.


Now it's time to glue the last piece, and here is where the problems started. There was a slight difference in size from some beams to others. It was not just the ones I cut myself, but also the pre-cut dowels had small imperfections. Here's when I understood why Froggy glued the beams on top.  

After a failed first try, I had to sand the bigger ones and use hot glue to stick them in place. Hot glue can get some dimension when it dries down, so it would fill the gap. My issue with it is that it dries down pretty fast, so I really had to hurry up. Here's the finished result.


Now it's time to cut the columns. Using a doll as a guide, I decided that the best size would be 35cm (13,78 inches). It won't raise much above the dolls' head, so it will still be visible in photos. Cut 4 pieces. 


If you want to use wooden dowels for this, you might have to create a base with cardboard or something to raise them to the desired height. 

To save me some head aches, I glued the columns using hot glue. 


For extra detail, I cut some popsicle sticks to support the column. To be fair, I don't think this gives real support to the craft, but rather creates the optical illusion of being sturdier. I measured 5 cm, and then I drew two lines at a 45º angle pointing outside. 


Cut a few of these. Depending on what you want to do, you would need 4 or 8. 


Glue the popsicles in place. 


Here's what we have so far. It has a few flaws, but I hope we can cover them.


Now it comes my favorite part: painting. In this case, I'm going to use a water based wood stain in a walnut color. This is meant to protect wood outdoors from sun damage, but I don't like the effect of varnish. I used to sell this when I worked in the DIY store, and it was known as being great quality. 


You can always stain wood using acrylic paint and thinning it with water and that will save you some money. In my case, I got it because I'm also planning to do a wooden floor using popsicle sticks, so I would use this for that too. 


Painting did take longer than I expected, but it was worth it. 


Now it's time to try it with some dolls. It took me a while to find a set up that I was happy with. I brought the patio chairs that I made way back in 2013 to add a pop of color to an overall dull background. Here's the first photo that I took that I was happy with. 


I wanted to add some plants and flowers wrapped around the pergola, both to hide the imperfections and to add a pop of color to an overall dull background. I would like to find something with small leafs that I could wrap around the beams and mimic a climbing plant. I haven't found that yet, but I found this paper flowers and wire, and for now this will have to do. I got this at TEDi, a German gift store where you can find all kinds of stuff, from candleholders to craft supplies, often at quite affordable prices.



I started by wrapping the wire around the beams, and then added a few of the flowers here and there.


I took a photo with Chloe, to see if it works. 
It does look cute, but I think I could really use some more flowers and plants. 


Overall, I'm quite happy with the result. I love the stain color I chose, and it looks nice in photos. However, if I had to start again I would probably do a few things differently. 

The size of the pergola is OK if you have a permanent diorama or want to create a "dining outside" scene, but if it's just a prop for photos or have limited storage space, I feel you could get away with a smaller version. In fact, I have another design in mind, but smaller and with the beams glued on top. 


That is all for me today. I haven't been working in any other crafts or projects because I got so stuck with this pergola, that I couldn't focus on anything else. My next post is going to be a photo compilation, so that'll give me some time to work on another craft project. I have some tea boxes I could transform into shelves for my dioramas, or maybe I'll start working on a hardwood floor. We'll see what I feel like doing. 

I hope you guys are doing great. I haven't been keeping up with my reading list, so as soon as I hit "Publish", I'll visit some of your blogs to see what have you been up to. 

See you soon.

Monster Crafts


Comments

  1. Oh, I don't think I could do anything in weather that hot. Last week a very dangerous storm came through my area and took down a lot of big branches and even some trees, knocking out electric power here for just over 24 hours, and it was awful without air conditioning. Mr. BTEG did buy a small gas-powered generator so we could keep our refrigerator and freezer running without losing all the food that was inside. I was absolutely wilting before the electricity came back on, and it's only gotten to be about 35 degrees here at the most.

    Your pergola came out very nicely! It looks like somewhere nice to hang out once the weather starts cooling down. :) It's even more impressive since you came up with the whole "pattern" yourself.

    That's neat that you used to work in a DIY store. Is that like what we generally call "hardware stores" like Lowe's or Home Depot? I think I'm going to have to start working with stains, because I've seen a lot of "miniaturists" use them, but I'm definitely going to get Mr. BTEG's help. Rags that could spontaneously combust make me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I have a hard time doing anything in such a hot weather, specially when it's humid. Too bad the power went out, but at least you managed to keep the refrigerator running. The worst thing that happened here was a heat wave so bad that being outdoors felt like being under a hair blow dryer.

      Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I actually get inspiration from real life stuff, and I saw some PVC pergola with a similar design, so I guess that's where I got it from.

      I actually worked in two, one of them was a similar concept of Home Depot (actually, where I got the wooden batten). The other one was a smaller business that focused more on paint and decorative stuff (we also sold artificial turf for some reason). If you are concerned about the fumes of the stain being dangerous, you can always use water based stain. They barely have a smell and it's easier to clean.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Well, even if you saw examples online, you still came up with the dimensions for your particular project, and how to fit it together. I'm not worried about the fumes of an oil stain, more that one must be careful with rags soaked with oil stain after the fact, as they can suddenly burst into flames. Fortunately, Mr. BTEG has experience with wood stains, and I think we'd probably do any sort of staining in our garage. It's where Mr. BTEG has his workshop set up.

      Delete
    3. That's true. To be fair, that's the more complicated part, because sometimes it's hard to envision. That's why I always share the measurements, so you don't need to figure that out. I could do a post on the "tricks" I use to come up with the sizes.

      It's true, they can. The fumes can give some weird reactions. Once in the store a lid of an oil base product just popped open because of the fumes.

      Delete
  2. Oh roll on summer!! I love those sort of temperatures MC, so I am very envious of you right now. Although I must admit today, the weather here isn't that bad...the sun is shining but it won't last.

    Great project, well documented as usual. I hadn't thought of doing a pergoa, but you made it look so easy, I may attempt one myself. Of course there are so many things already on my to do list, heaven only knows when I'll get around to it.

    Like you I haven't been doing much blogging lately, but I'm off to do a post now.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! The issue here is that the humidity was very high (70% or so), which made it unbearable. I'm not a huge fan of summer and I prefer winter, specially over here because it's quite mild.

      Thanks I'm glad that you like it. I was concerned that I wasn't taking enough "how to" photos, but I'm glad to hear that the instructions are clear. I also have a lot of things in my "to do" list that I never seem to get around, but if you ever give it a go let me know.

      Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  3. Hey hey, MC dolling! I love this pergola - I always loved wood elements in a photo. They just make me feel at peace, at home. Probably because I grew up in a wooden house.
    That is so great that despite the heat, you were able to craft something awesome. I always complain about the heat and apparently, I am not in my most creative when temp gets too hot. Perhaps you have wide windows so that air can flow right in your room. I had a balcony to work in for 17 months when I rented a space. I'm back home now and I still haven't started any new crafting because there's just no space.
    I'm excited to see more photos and some dining scenes with you girls soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shasha! Originally, I was going to paint it white, but I thought a wood color would make it more realistic. Living in a wooden house sounds so fascinating to me.

      I do have a balcony next to my doll room, but the issue is that the sun hits directly most of the day, so it feels like a greenhouse in here. On the flipside, in winter I barely have to turn the heat on. My background is a bit too small to be able to make a full dining scene, so I need to work on some props to make the "garden" look bigger

      Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda! Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I hope I can get a lot of use for it. I've been thinking of ways I can "dress it up" to fit Autumn or Christmas themed photos. I definitely will need to work on more props to create outdoors scenes. Glad to hear that you found some greenery, and I'm looking forward to see your take on the "outdoors-indoors" idea.
    Big hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Hola MC! Al final te ha quedado genial la pérgola, en las fotos con la muñeca queda muy bonito el color. Igual me animo y les hago una a mis nendos, que tengo unos muebles de jardín y un par de barbacoas y podría quedar bien.

    Lo del calor que ha hecho ha sido insufrible y eso que en Barcelona no hemos llegado a los 40º. Ya hay ganas locas que de que llegue el otoño y refresque, no me gusta nada el verano.

    Saludos ^-ᴥ-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Sion! Me alegro que te guste. El color me encanta, queda rustico y aporta calidez. Para los Nendos lo tendrás más fácil y seguramente lo puedas hacer con palitos de helado.

      El problema del calor ha sido en parte la humedad, que hace hasta que te cueste respirar. Yo estoy esperando a que llegue la típica tormenta de final de verano y bajen las temperaturas.

      Saludos a ti también!

      Delete
  6. I've fallen behind on my blog reading list too. I feel a little guilty that I haven't been keeping up, but life happens.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Treesa! Don't worry, it happens to most of us when we're busy/ not motivated. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. And here I am looking for warmer socks and cardigans to keep me warm. Last week was so cold, but it looks better for this week - hope to enjoy the warm sun for a day or two.
    Love the pergola! And the tutorial is easy to follow. Great that you share the troubles you experience too, so that we can learn somethings through that!
    And sometimes life just happens!
    Enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! I always complain about the hot weather but, at the same time, I don't want to be wearing a wool cardigan in August. We could use some lower temperatures and humidity levels though.

      Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I really hope that my mistakes were helpful for people and I'm glad you think it's an easy to follow tutorial.

      You too, enjoy the new week.

      Delete
  8. Wow....this is another post I'd like to earmark for later. You did such a great job at making that pergola. It all looks so professional and adds so much to your photos. Your instructions are really clear and the results are so good! The quality of your photos are excellent as well! It's funny how, on this scale, the Popsicle sticks resemble lumber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! II'm glad that you like it. It has some flaws here and there, but hopefully I'll be able to cover them with some flowers and greenery. At first I thought I would need two popsicles to give the effect, but turns out it works out with just one.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Barbie BMR 1959 Curvy