What I got for Christmas

Christmas has come and gone and, like many of you, I got some gifts under my tree. Like I've mentioned before, I get most of my gifts on January 5th which is one of the reasons why this post is coming so late. The other is that we had somewhat of a bumpy start of the year, but I'm trying to put my best foot foward. Although some of these aren't necessarily dolls or doll-related stuff, they're things I'm going to use in the future for crafts or other projects on this blog, so I still think they're somewhat relevant for this blog

Let's start with one of the things I was more excited about: craft paint. If you're a regular reader, you've probably seen me use Americana Acrylics in 90% of my craft projects. They color chart is so extensive, and you can find quite a few colors that will look very realistic on dioramas and doll furniture. I don't think that, quality-wise, they're the best brand that I've tried, but the other brand that I like has been discontinued. 


Just like last year, Mr. Monster got these from an online store called Mia Mandarina, which is a small business run by a lovely lady. On the package, she included a beautiful postcard with one of her original illustrations. I did make a list of colors that I wanted, with a second list of colors he could get in case he didn't get enough for shipping or they were out of stock of some colors. Even though I knew this was coming, I didn't know which colors would I get.

Frosted Plum, Purple Petal, Desert Cactus, Hauser, Terra Coral

I did have to pick them online, which can be challenging because often, colors won't look in person the same they look online, but overall I'm quite happy with the selection. I wanted to pick blue shades that look similar to the ones in my house, which would be Blue Mist and Winter Blue.  However, I did try not to pick too many blues and teals, which are the colors I'm more drawn to, but instead I tried to pick colors that would be different to my usual shades. The only two that look too similar between them are the browns, Cocoa and Honey Brown (on camera they look identical though).

Honey Brown, Cocoa, Winter Blue, Grey Sky, Blue Mist

While I have swatched all of the colors, I still haven't had the chance to use them in a craft project. I've been thinking about making some sort of "review" on craft paints and make a list of some of my favorite Americana colors, so let me know if you would be interested in that. Also, let me know which of these new colors is your favorite. 

For doll photos, I got this small ring light. It is designed to be used on videoconferences, so it has a USB port to connect it to your laptop to turn it on. It also comes with a clamp to attach it to your screen. I had been mentioning for quite some time I wanted one of those mini ring lights that you can attach to your phone. Mr. Monster saw a good deal on this one, and got it even though it wasn't technically for a phone. I haven't played much with it yet, but I have tried using it attached to my phone. Unfortunately, it's quite bulky and had some trouble with it.


It also comes with a mini tripod, which i have used for a couple of these photos and it works fine. I will keep experimenting with it and I'll let you know my final thoughts. This might be a good alternative if you're not willing to invest in a big ring light. 

Mini ring light on a tripod

Now to the other thing I was more excited for: a sewing machine! I didn't expect to get one as a gift, so I screamed like an 8 year old when I saw it. I hadn't been doing any research on sewing machines, so I have no idea which one is the best. The one I got is the Singer Promise 1408, which, for what I can see on some online reviews, is quite beginner-friendly.  Mr. Monster saw a few reviews that said it was quite powerful for the price point, specially if you're a beginner or a casual sewer. On top of that, he managed to get it on sale, so that makes it an even better deal. Now I have no excuse to avoid making doll clothes.

Singer Promise 1408

Last, but certainly not least, I have two new dolls. On the left, we have the Stormtrooper Star Wars Barbie that, pretty much like the Leia one, went down on sale for a much cheaper price. Technically this wasn't a Christmas gift, but rather a graduation gift Mr. Monster made me, but I thought since I hadn't shown here yet, this was a great chance. 


On the right, we have doll number 2 from the new Barbie Looks line (the curvy one). I'm planning on doing a review on her anytime soon, where I'll explain my full thoughts on this doll and this line. From the first wave, this one was the only one I truly wanted, and I'm happy she's here. 

As I mentioned earlier, I've had not-so-smooth start of the year. Some people from our family, but also at Mr. Monster's job, tested positive for the you-know-what, so we have had to quarantine for a few days. This couldn't happen at a worse moment, since my mother-in-law recently had surgery and could really use some help that, out of safety, we haven't been able to provide. She's doing fairly well, and she has her husband with her, but I know she still needs an extra helping hand. I know this is a pandemic and something like this could eventually happen, but I can't help to feel demoralized by the situation.

Out of precaution, Mr. Monster's company has sent everyone to work from home, so I'll have him around for a few weeks. We've arranged one of the desks in the doll room for him to work, so I've moved my laptop to the dining room. I still can use the craft table for doll stuff, as far as it's not a loud activity (sewing or certain craft projects will have to wait). I'm not complaining though, I think it's important for him to have a separate space for work, that once he's done he can close the door and forget about it. 

I hope that you're all staying safe and that your year is going well so far. Let me know what you got for Christmas in the comment section. See you soon. 

Monster Crafts

Comments

  1. How exciting that you got a sewing machine! I hope it will give you many happy sewing years. Creo que mi pintura favorita es el Winter Blue, porque el azul es mi color favorito. I wish that you could teleport here for a day, and go shopping at our local hobby stores with me.

    I keep thinking about buying a ring light. Actually, I think I am overthinking it, because I never just choose one and buy it. Yours looks like it is working well.

    I can relate to your quarantining issues. One of my daughter's co-workers came into work on the day before Christmas Eve, even though she had been at an emergency room the night before, and told that she should get tested (don't know why they didn't have tests there.) Co-worker came into work anyway, and tested positive there (daughter works at a pharmacy.) So Mr. BTEG and younger daughter and I all stayed home for Christmas, since we had to wait to see if my daughter would get sick. She didn't, fortunately. We did go to my in-laws for New Year's Day, and stopped by to see elder daughter on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with it to. I would like to start making a couple of human-size pillow covers, as I feel it could be a great practice with the machine that doesn't require to constantly stop. That one is also one of my favorites, and looks pretty close to my wall color. I would love to go shopping! I wish Spain had one of those chain "hobby and craft" stores like Michael's. Hopefully in the near future we'll have more stores, as I feel like crafting culture is on the rise.

      I'm not sure if you have Aldi in your area, but over here they have temporary offers and, not that long ago, they had very affordable ring light. This one is quite affordable too, the only issue is that you can only connect it with a USB, so it can be limiting. I have it connected to a power bank.

      I also wonder why they didn't test her at the emergency room. Glad to hear that your daughter didn't get sick. We did get tested a few days after knowing about everyone testing positive, and we have a couple of those "at home" tests, just in case we start showing symptoms. We're being careful, but we wouldn't be the first to get it despite taking precautions.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. There is an Aldi really close to where I live, but I don't have a USB port by my main craft/photography area. Since we're talking about crafting culture, I've been meaning to ask you if kids' crafting is a thing where you live. For example, I bought a kids' knitting kit for my youngest daughter, that had knitting needles with Disney princesses on the handles, and a pattern book with princess-y simple patterns.

      Delete
    3. I would say that kind of. I've never seen a knitting kit targeted towards kids though. There are some craft-related kits targeted towards kid, but it's your classic washable craft paint and stuff like that. You can find more interesting craft sets at some toy stores that I would call "alternative". On those stores, you wouldn't find Barbie dolls, but rather lots of wooden toys and toys that involve some sort of "construction". But those seem to be more "niche" toys, definitely not what the average family buys to their kids. If anything, the Aquabeads sets seemed to be very popular amongst girls a few years ago. Maybe if crafting becomes more popular amongst adults, it would also start being more popular amongst kids.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! Don't worry about it! Not many people seem to have seen this post, the views have been stuck at the same number for days. I don't know if it's because people have been less active or some shenaningans going on with blogger.

    I'm not planning to unbox my Star Wars dolls, and right now they're displayed on my living room, next to other Star Wars stuff. From the Looks line, she was the most interesting to me. The others are cute, but they aren't dolls I would pay full price for. I'm really looking forward to try the new colors, but at the same time I'm feeling very lazy to get anything done.

    My mother-in-law is doing really well, thanks for asking. We talked about just making useful gifts, and all the ones I made were rather small, but useful (like a bunch of socks). The sewing machine was the biggest gift, but knowing my partner, he probably searched high and low for the best offer.

    Big hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MC! So excited for your sewing machine and acrylic paints! I'm thinking more diorama walls for you, and of course, sewing ;)

    Glad to know you guys are now well. Like I mentioned in my recent blogpost, this new year was greeted by most of the people I know with a flu and thankfully, it's not as nasty.

    I got a pair of beach flip flops from my sister this christmas so I hope soon we can travel and visit a beautiful beach in the summer and use it hehe. I also got a cash gift from my husband haha He always does this because he just doesn't want to stress into thinking what I would want knowing I'm a very specific receiver haha. I used have of his gift for some wishlists, and the remaining half will be used for a slightly bigger expense. For the last few years, I always buy art materials from his cash gift but now I feel like I have less time for painting due to not having a painting space anymore. I feel a little sad for that, but we really can't be too greedy haha..

    Looking forward to what you will be crafting this year, dear. Thanks as always for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shasha! I do have some ideas for projects, but so far this month I haven't managed to get much done. Luckily everyone in my family is doing well and fully recovered. It didn't expand outside of one household, so we were lucky with that.

      You had some good gifts, useful. I love getting cash as a gifts, since I can spend it on whatever I need at the moment. I am too, a very specific receiver, so that's why I make a list. Also, some people aren't good gift-givers, so cash is the perfect gift for them to give.

      I haven't been very inspired to craft these past few weeks, but hopefully I'll get back on track soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hello and you got some amazing gifts for Christmas! Those craft paint colors are amazing and will certainly come to use, so even the ring light. The new dolls are beautiful, really love them - Star Wars especially. The sewing machine made me go YAY! Now you can create all kinds of things! Looking forward to seeing some future projects! :)

    Sorry to hear about the positive test results. Sometimes it feels like there is no light at all in the end of the tunnel. Hope that every one is doing better now and that your mother in law is coping well after her surgery. It has gotten worse here and you can not be sure if you have a flu or something else.

    Stay safe and take care! Hope that it starts to go smoother after the bumpy start on 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! I have some ideas for the colors, but I haven't felt very inspired to craft recently. I have been working on a craft project for Youtube, so hopefully I can keep the momentum going.

      I do agree, it sometimes feels like this pandemic is never going to end. I feel like that has had a lot to do with my mood being down and not feeling inspired to work on any projects. I often have allergy symptoms, but now it's scary because you never know if it's allergies, a cold or something else. I've had a few days that I was feeling worse than usual, so I've decided to get tested, just in case.

      Thank you so much for your well wishes. My mother-in-law is doing amazing, thankfully. Wish you also a great and healthy new year!

      Delete
  5. You got some good stuff. Especially the paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaye! The paint is one of the things I am more excited to use.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

How to make a doll TV that "works"

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)