Barbie Style clothes I'd love to make

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you might already know that, a bit over a year ago, I started my learning to sew journey. I'm still fairly new and haven't done much, but I have sewn a couple of things I'm quite proud of. As of lately, I haven't had much time to practice, but now that I have a few quiet days of school, I thought I could share some of the things I'd love to sew, so I can start planning out for when I have more time. 


These are clothes I've seen on the Barbie Style Instagram account and that I would love to recreate myself. What I love about this account is that the style is overall simple, but they make it work by switching different pieces of clothing and accessories. On top of that, since the clothes are already doll-scale, for someone who's a beginner like me, it would be easier to figure things out, like what fabric to use. So, I created this "wishlist" of garments from there that I would like to recreate. Also, since I know some of my readers are way more skilled sewers than I am, this post is also a great way for me to get advice and feedback from you.

I must say that there are way many more clothes I like from Barbie Style, but I've tried to stick to the ones I think would be easier to start with, since I'm still a beginner. 

Basic slip dress

When I look at clothes that I want to make, I often pay attention to those that look simple yet versatile and could be great wardrobe staples. This is the kind of dress you could make look casual with a denim jacket and flats, but more dressed up with a nicer jacket and high heels. 

There are several versions of this dress on their Instagram, in a variety of colors, fabrics and with different tweaks at the design, but overall I feel it's the same dress. This one is in black:

 If I were making this for petite dolls, I have a dress that I could use as a guide, but for other dolls, I'm not sure what to use. Maybe I could try making a pattern from scratch. I have never made a pattern from scratch, but I have a feeling this should be on the easier side.

As for the fabric, I do have some thin white woven cotton that is mixed with some synthetic fabric, which won't get too wrinkly. 

You can see more pics of this dress on this post from August 2019 and this one from November 2017. (Sorry, but embedding all those photos was a nightmare)

Ribbed cardigan 

When I first saw this on their Instagram, I thought this could be a great versatile piece that could help to get that cozy "chilly weather" look for my dolls (I don't have many winter doll clothes), but also be used for a spring look as a light jacket.  While I have never sewn sleeves and there might be some complications there, I have a feeling that this might be easier than something that's tight or fitted. 

This doesn't have to be an exact recreation of what Mattel has done, but I really want to use ribbed fabric for this. I feel like ribbed fabric just gives it a feeling of coziness, that sometimes plain fabric doesn't give. 


To make this, I thought I could buy some ribbed socks at some store like H&M and use them to sew this. Sometimes socks come in packs with different colors, so I could make a second one in another color if the first one comes out alright. What do you think? Do you think the fact that they're stretchy would give me problems?

Embroidered cotton dress

I've seen this dress a couple of times on the Barbie Style Instagram, and it has always caught my eye. For what I see, besides the embroidered cotton they've also used some embroidery/crochet for the sleeves and bottom of the dress, but I guess that can be optional.


One of the reasons why I have chosen this dress is because I've seen that type of fabric at the store I usually buy fabric from, so I know it will be easy to find. However, I'm not sure if the pattern for this would be too hard for me to make. In that case, I could also use this type of fabric to make other clothes, like the first dress I mentioned. 

Wrapped dress

I was on the fence about including this dress. This was the first dress I saw on Barbie Style that I thought about recreating. One of the reasons why I liked was that, since it was wrapped, I thought it could fit dolls of different sizes. But then I started noticing that, in some photos, it looked like it was sewn on the front and would fasten on the back (like this post from December 2021). I then started wondering if my idea of making this to fit multiple dolls wouldn't work. I also started being more drawn to other garments featured on Barbie Style.

I've still decided to include this because there's still things I like about this dress, like the simplicity of it. The things I don't like about it (the length, for example) are things that could easily be fixed. Some of the colors and fabrics they've used aren't what I would go for either, but that's not a big deal.

If I ever make this dress, how should I make it? Should I make it a proper wrap dress or sew the front and make it close on the back like a regular dress? I feel like the first option would be easier. 

As for the fabric, I wouldn't go with anything sparkly or satin-like, but I would rather go with a plain cotton fabric with a solid color (like a periwinkle or something like that, but it depends on what I can find at the fabric store). But let me know your suggestions for fabrics if you have some. 

While there's still many more pieces that I'd love to recreate, I think I'm going to leave it here today. The post is getting long, and embedding all of those images in the HTML code is starting to get chaotic. Like I said, this is post is both for me to make a list of what I want, but also a great way to get feedback and advice for you. Also, any other suggestions for these designs or others you've seen will be welcome.  Even if you think one of these pieces is too advanced for me right now, you can tell me, I won't be offended.


On a personal note, I'm finally done with exams, and they went pretty well. I still have about a week of class before the official end of the trimester, so I still have some work to do. Luckily, I have some spare time that I've been using to take some dolly photos and I've also started sewing some swimwear for this summer. I sew at such a slow pace that I better start now if I want to have it finished by June.

Being a bit more relaxed at school has also given me the opportunity to plan out what I want to write about on this blog these upcoming months. I have a new doll that I can't wait to unbox, plus I'll share all the sewing progress I manage to make until I'm busy again. 

I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the start of the weekend. I'll be back very soon!

Monster Crafts


This post was first published on themonstercrafts.blogspot.com. If you see it published elsewhere, it's been plagiarized without my consent.

Comments

  1. First of all, let me say that I'm glad that you are through with exams for a while, and have the time to do some crafty things. The basic slip dress would probably be easy to make, because there are no tucks or darts required. The main issue would be making sure the dress was not too loose around the bust at the front, and was also not too floppy under the arms. If I were you, I would a lining for the top, that went down slightly below the armhole. That would make the neckline and armhole neater, and sandwiching the straps between the lining and the dress would probably also help the straps be held on stronger.

    For the ribbed socks, something that's not super stretchy should be okay. Make sure that the socks are not too thick, or the cardigan will look too bulky. Depending on the finish at the top of the sock, you might want to use that at the bottom of the cardigan and the sleeves, for a neater look.

    I think the only problem with the embroidered dress would be attaching the gathered skirt to the bodice. The bottom of the skirt is partially covered by a big piece of lace, and the sleeve is just made out of another piece of lace, so no crocheting/embroidery involved there.

    I agree with what you said about fabrics they used on the last dress. In the first picture, it looks like she grabbed a towel and turned it into a dress. I think it might just be a wrap front dress. The back does not look bulky enough to have a closure there, at least to my eye. I would probably put small snaps on the inside of the dress, at the waistline where the two sides meet. For example, on the outside of the dress, you can see where the right side of the fabric (from her perspective) ends in an angled shape. Put a snap there, and then another one where the left side ends, on the inside of the dress. The stitch marks can be covered by the ties at the waist.

    This is a lot! I hope this is helpful and not too confusing. DM me on Instagram if you have any questions, or send email to g i b s o n g i r l a t g i b s o n g i r l d o t o r g (spaced to avoid spammers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! Thanks for all the detailed feedback! I've noticed that some versions of the slip dress are lined, while others aren't. I could try lining it and, if I make a big mess, just stitch everything regularly. The vitiligo fashionista came with a similar dress, which I would use as a guide to make mine if I were sewing it for a petite doll. I might try to find something with a similar fit on my doll clothes stash to compare the size. I've also now just realized this could also become a top.

      I mentioned socks because I haven't really seen this type of fabric at the store I go to, so I thought that would be the easiest way to source this type of fabric. Great advice about the thickness of the socks. Probably now that spring is upon us it will be easier to find thin socks.

      I was afraid that second dress would be a bit too hard for me yet. However, I could get that type of fabric to get that "vibe" using a different pattern. I have seen that crochet thing sold at a local store. They sell it by meter, so you can buy as much as you need.

      I can't help but laugh at your comment about it looking like a towel, because that's what I thought when I looked at this post from my phone. I did think about adding a snap closure on the inner part, thinking it could easily slip, but didn't think about the outer part.

      It is indeed very helpful and not confusing. I'll definitely reach out to you if I have further questions (which probably will come up when I'm in the middle of sewing).

      Delete
  2. Glad that you have been doing good at school and have some free time to look at coming projects. It is really busy here and I had thoughts that I could start knitting and crocheting some clothes for my dollies, but that did not really happen. I have started and are about halfway.
    The clothes you found look really nice. For ribbed cardigans you can surely use socks and sometimes even socks from the children's clothing can be enough. Some even come with nice details and figures knitted on and in that way make nice patterns for a cardigan. I have used new bought socks and panties/knickers for kids to make t-shirts and tops. Works just great for many dolls, even a bit bigger ones as my ball jointed dolls.
    Good luck! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! I actually got the idea because I saw some really cute socks in pastel colors in the children's clothes section, and I thought they really looked like those cabled sweaters. I hadn't thought about using underwear for kids as fabric, but now that you mention it, I recall seeing some undergarments with a texture that could work for a cardigan.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Good to see your schooling come to an end for now at least. :)
    I think Barb has just about covered everything, but have you ever thought about pulling apart a garment that you already have, and using it to draft a pattern onto a plastic template which you can use over and over with different fabrics? Using different fabrics & textures can make one dress pattern look like several completely different dresses, especially when you add different accessories.
    A simple slip dress pattern can easily be adjusted to a wrap dress, by adding an overlap to the front.
    The little jacket sleeves shouldn't be a problem for you, as they look like a drop shoulder which is easy to sew. If in doubt, see if you can see a similar garment in the women's department of a local store to see how its made.
    Can't think of anything else to add now, except keep on sewing...practice makes perfect!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! I still have class until the 5th, and some homework to do, but, at least, we're free from exams.
      I currently don't have any doll clothes that I'm willing to pull apart. Instead, I use a technique from Fashion Doll Stylist to trace the pattern without dismantling the garment. I believe you can see it here. I have never heard about tracing your patterns on plastic, but I've seen some put some wide sticky tape on top of their patterns to make them sturdier.

      I had never thought about making the wrap dress from the slip dress pattern, so that's a good idea. For the jacket, I will probably use some Barbie jackets I already own as a guide to help me come up with a pattern.

      One of my goals for sewing is to master a couple of basic patterns and designs, and make different versions of them by changing the fabric and little tweaks to the design here and there. And, like you said, with some styling it can look like completely different garments!

      Delete
  4. Your photos and clothes for dolls are stunning and stylish. I recommend trying to sew clothes from socks, as I've made a sweater from socks for dolls before and it turned out very realistic. My fabric choices vary from cotton to satin, depending on the design and style of the clothes. Wishing you success in your creative endeavors. Your posts are always a pleasure to read, and your doll photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inesa. A fitted sweater might be too advanced for me right now, but it's on my to-do list. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda! I have never sewn a V-neck, so I guess I'll find out if I find it hard once I do it for the first time. I find that dress so pretty too, but, if you take out the embroidered cotton and the lace it's quite a plain dress. I think that the closure on the front would be the best idea, and cover the stitches with the ties.
    Thank you! I still have some days of school before Easter and some homework to do, but at least I'm more relaxed than when I had a bunch of exams back to back.
    Hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, making a lining would help with the V-neck, although that may not work the same for you. If you try it, you wouldn't have to line the entire dress. Take the lining down to about waist length, and finish the edge with Fray Check or a zig-zag stitch. Also make sure to clip the seam allowances around the V of the neck in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your exams are done and you have some free time.

    A word about knits - the thinner the knit, the harder it is to sew the hems as they will stretch out if you sew by machine (and I do) and the stitching will be uneven. I have more luck with T-shirt fabric from T-shirts I made for myself. The fabric I chose was a little thicker than stretchy type T-shirts but not too thick for Barbie dolls.. You can use a tear away stabilizer (like tissue paper) under the fabric if you machine sew the hems or if you use a fabric that does not curl, just cut the hem(s) carefully and evenly and don't turn up and sew the hem. You did very well with the garments you made from Shasha's instructions so you may not need my advice on fabric selection.

    Sleeves - for doll clothes, sleeves are sewn onto the bodice or shirt before the sleeve underarm seam is sewn. Sew the sleeve cap to the armscye (shoulder) first then sew the side seams of the shirt and under am seams of the sleeve in one step, either from the bottom of the sleeve to the bottom of the shirt or vice versa.

    Gathered skirts sewn onto bodices - very easy if you take the time to gather properly. Cut the skirt at least twice the width of the dolls waist (once you make a few, you can adjust your cutting measurements as to how much or how little gathering you want). Be sure to add extra width to the skirt center backs so you have enough to turn under a neat center back hem or seam allowance. I fold the skirt piece in half width-wise and put a straight pin vertically at the top center.Then, with a long stitch, sew along the top of the skirt piece a little more than a 1/4" from the raw edge. I start sewing a 1/3" in from one side edge and end a 1/3" in from the other side edge. Remove the skirt from the machine, and starting at one side, gently pull either the top or bobbin thread until the skirt is gathered tightly to the center pin, then pull the thread from the other side of the skirt to tightly gather to the center pin.
    Place the gathered top edge to the bodice bottom right sides together matching the center pin of the skirt to the center of the bodice bottom. The skirt will be upside down. Now gently stretch out the gathers on one side until they meet the center back edge of the bodice. Adjust the gathers evenly and pin about every 1/3 to 1/2 inch. Do the same to the other side of the skirt. Make sure you have matched both the bottom edge of the bodice and the top edge of the gathered skirt, then sew 1/4" from one side edge to the other side edge with a normal stitch length. Make sure the top of the gathers don't get caught in the seam - I use the end of a small plastic brush to flip them out as I sew.. Backstitch at both edges. I take the time to pull out my gathering stitches - it gives a nicer, neater look. I also gather with a thread color that does not blend in with the fabric making it easier to see those stitches when pulling them out. You may have to use a seam ripper to cut the gathering stitches and tweezers to pull them out. Now, flip the skirt down and finger press along the gathered edge with the seam allowance UP on the inside. I also press with an iron but this can be difficult on a tiny garment.. You can also topstitch to keep the gathered edge turned up..

    I realize I have gotten a little specific with my tips but I think you will be happier with how nice your outfits will look. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you.

    Looking forward to seeing the new doll you have..

    Teresa F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa.
      I was planning to sew the jacket by hand, because I'm not super familiar with the sewing machine. Another fellow collector told me she used fabric glue to avoid stretchy fabric to stretch and roll up while sewing (not here, it was a conversation on Instagram).

      I don't mind the specific advice. I have never sewn sleeves before, so your comment is very helpful. I also try to watch some tutorials before I do start sewing myself.

      The tips for the gathered skirt are also quite useful, but so far I think I'm going to go with either the slip dress or the jacket first, depending on what missing supplies I can find first.

      Thanks, I'm glad you like the clothes I made with Shasha, but it's easier when you have someone guiding you through the process.
      Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful comment. I really appreciate. Wish you a lovely weekend ahead.

      Delete
  8. I'm not quite sure if this is for me or Linda, but still helpful. Before I attempt to line anything I'll watch a couple of tutorials on Youtube. Atelierni Shasha's videos have been useful for me in the past. Also, sometimes I some human-size sewing tutorials helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to get back to this so late; it was really meant for you and Linda, if either of you found it helpful. I hope you can find some useful videos on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

Fashion Galore