Photo compilation: January-February 2023

Hello dolly-friends and welcome back to another Photo compilation, the series where I share all the photos that I shared on Instagram and other social media during the previous two months. For some reason, it's March already, which means time to share the photos from January and February. 

As some of you know, my ring light broke, and I had to repair it, and also in January I got sick and had to do a lot of catching up with school. Because of all of this, I didn't publish any new photos during January. In fact, most of them are from the same photoshoot, and I've just been spreading them through the month of February. 

Back in early February, I had quite a relaxed week at school, so one Saturday I asked Mr. Monster if we could go somewhere to take some outdoors photos. We didn't have any clue on where to go, so we decided to try to go to this beach area that has lots of rocks, since we thought it would be quiet. We know the area, but we aren't super familiar with it, so we didn't know if there will be many good spots for photos. We went with an open mind and in full adventure mode, and we were not disappointed.


This first photo of Victoria was taken at the first spot we found. It was a little nook on the beach, that looked almost like a tiny bay (for lack of a better way to describe it). I was also at a lower level than the rest of the beach and the promenade that's nearby, so while there were people walking by the promenade, we were basically alone. This beach is full of this "nooks", and some of them are easy to access because they've built some steps or a ramp, but others you would have to walk through some rocks. 

We didn't stay for too long at the first place, as we were concern our car might not be parked at a proper spot, so we took it and drove to the second spot, which had a proper parking area. Close to that area we saw a ramp that look like it could be an access to the beach, so we followed it. Best decision ever, as we found a wonderful 2nd spot. 


To get to this spot, we passed the back of a local restaurant that is just by the sea. I thought it could look nice to take a pic of Victoria pretending she's walking. This might be my favorite photo from the entire set, even though it didn't get much love on Instagram. 


I did take a bunch of photos of the new girl but, when I was editing them, I realized most of them had the exact same pose. You could think I photoshopped her into different backgrounds.


Before we went home, we walked by the promenade to see if we could find other spots in case we came back another time (the sun was about to set in no time). We did find another nook, but I wasn't very inspired to take photos there. I got this photo of Victoria that, while I don't love the pose, the background looks interesting.


Finally, I also shared this photo of the Barbie Looks #12 that didn't make the cut on the final post, but I did post on Instagram. 


I hope you're all doing well. I have a couple of busy weeks ahead of me, but around mid-March I think I'll have more spare time. I haven't got time to do anything doll related because, of course, as soon as I said I wanted to start a sewing project, teachers started dumping a lot of work onto us, so I haven't even started. 

Right now I can't figure out what I want to post about next. So I guess I'll just wait a couple of weeks until I'm free from exams and give it a thought. Until then, this is pretty much what I have to share, but hope I'll be back as soon as possible.

Take care.


Monster Crafts

PS. Please, excuse if it takes me a bit longer than usual to reply to comments. 


This post was first published on themonstercrafts.blogspot.com. If you see it published elsewhere, it's been plagiarized without my consent. 

Comments

  1. Your pics turned out pretty nice. You know I love the water, so a beach backdrop is right up my alley. I've found that Instagram isn't that great for my own photography productivity. Somehow I want to reproduce what everyone else is doing, instead of getting my own inspirations. I'm still hoping to meet more people, but like you, I'm finding it slow going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! Right now, I have some conflicting feelings about Instagram. On one hand, I've found some nice inspiration there, but there's also something very draining about the way it works. But I also do agree that sometimes it feels like it can condition your inspiration in a way that other platforms don't. It also feels very competitive in a negative way, but that's a totally different conversation.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Your girls always look so lovely in your photos MC, the beach has a lot to offer in the way of good backdrops. I have never had much luck with Instagram so I tend to just stick with good ol' Blogger and Pinterest. Don't worry yourself about how often you comment or post, we all understand that there is life aside from dolls. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu. I used to have a lot of fun on Instagram, but it's not like that anymore. I too, do prefer the interaction that I get on blogger, and I also spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for inspiration.
      I have this personal goal to post on my blog once a month, which I do understand is not an obligation, but a part of me feels like I must do it and accomplish my goals. It makes no sense, but that's how my brain works.
      Big hugs to you too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Linda! That's my favorite pic too. You're not really missing that much, but I would say that the Barbie Style Instagram account is a great source of inspiration, at least for me. You can find some of those photos on Pinterest though. Hugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MC. Lovely photos. I always love when you take those onsite photos. You have such a good eye and the doll really looks "alive!" I think you did a great job of zooming in and out with the camera and even blurring the backgrounds. So even if it was the same pose, I really didn't notice because each photo looks different. What's a little interesting... I was involved in a discussion elsewhere on someone's FB page discussing the difference between the Barbies of today and of yesterday. Someone pointed out how much the bodies are different, especially when it comes to the made-to-move Barbies. Me, being a doll person, I hadn't not paid much attention to the aesthetics except for the fact they can take many more poses. But I must admit...in the last photo, where Barbie Looks #13's bare arms are exposed....she does look a little "muscular" as if she has been lifting weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, I'm glad you like them. I do edit my photos, and on some of these, I did sharpen the dolls' faces, to make them look more "on focus" which could also be increasing the difference between the doll and the blurry background.
      I know some people don't like the MTM body because the articulations are so obvious, but I love the wider range of poses it offers. I do agree about the last photo, but I also think it has to do with the pose, as it looks like she's showing off her muscles. I wasn't crazy about this photo, but still went with it.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos with Barbie dolls and wonderful locations. An interesting story. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, it is me, tumbling in with my late response! Beautiful photos and lovely places you and Mr Monster found. It is always nice to take a trip like that. Sometimes when we have time over, we take a little trip too. Kids, dog, dolls and all. Our Bentley really loves these trips and get so exited.
    I love the first and second photo. The colors and their faces are so lovely in the light. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! I don't mind the late responses, sometimes life gets in the way and we can't keep up with our reading lists. I was pleasantly surprised at the spots that we found. I love taking some time to go on these little trips, but unfortunately, obligations and day-to-day stuff doesn't allow us to take them as often.
      Hope that you had a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  7. looking very stylish and creative. its allabout your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

How to make a doll TV that "works"