Unboxing some dolls plus new backgrounds

If you have been following this blog for a while now you will know that I used to do doll reviews quite often. It was a way for me to pay more attention to the dolls when I opened them than just opening the box and putting them on a shelf to be displayed. However, I got tired of that, mostly because there haven't been any doll releases that have excited me. Yes, there're Barbie Fashionistas that are cute, but nothing special. Also, I felt that I was only doing doll reviews and that my content was getting boring and unoriginal. So, I won't be doing proper doll reviews unless is a doll that really excites me or something new and different.



There are a few reasons why I'm doing this "unboxing" type of post. First, I've had this dolls in their boxes for a few months now and they need to get out. However, since I don't want them to go directly from the box to the self, I decided to do a little photoshoot with them, so I can practice my photography skills. Plus, I have new backgrounds (yay!). Remember that, on my last post, I told you that I lived in a small town and I couldn't find fun things? Well, right after I hit "Publish", I went to a small stationary store, like the smallest stationary store in town, and I found they had new cardstock colors. I was not expecting to find anything in there, the store is so tiny and cluttered that I have to hold my purse close to my body, so I won't hit anything. Anyway, let's move onto the dolls.
Here we have Barbie Fashionistas #73 Rosey Romper and #79 Love. They have been sitting on my doll room for quite some time (I think from September 2018), and I think is time for them to shine. Here they are in their boxes.




And here they are freshly out of the box. Since Rosey Romper didn't want to cooperate and stand on her own, I had to make them lean against the wall.



Since we've seen enough of this navy blue blackground on this blog, let's bring my new background. It's a lime green/citrus color, and it is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to see how my dolls look against it. Let's start with Rosey Romper (from now on, Rosey). When I first saw images of her online, I wasn't super sold on her, but when I saw her on the store I thought she was really pretty. I'm not sure about her headmold, I think is one of this new headmolds they did for the Fashionistas line.



I also quite like her outfit, it's a nice black romper with a flower pattern. I mean, at least it fits her and looks like proper clothes, unlike some other Fashionista... Her earrings look quite decent too.




Let's move on to Love. When I saw that she uses the Teresa headmold, I had to get her. I'm drawned into dolls that have the head sculpts from my childhood (see Urban Camo or Sweet for Silver). I also like her hair color, but I'm not a big fan of the hairstyle, so I might restyle it. I think I want to call her Drew, inspired by one of the dolls on the Fashion Fever line.



I couldn't care less about her outfit. It's just horrible. I mean, it could look cute as lounge wear paired up with some leggins, but just feels lazy. It's also paired with a pair of bright orange boots and a white chocker. Have you noticed that, besides the shoes, the Fashionistas only bring one accessory? It's either a purse, a pair of earrings, a necklace or a watch. I guess Mattel can just afford to put one piece of plastic on each doll.



And here are the dolls posing together. I forgot to mention that Drew uses the tall body with flat feet, while Rosie has the original body with high heel feet.



Here are a few photos of the dolls that I took just for fun:






I'm really happy with Rosey, I think she looks so beautiful. At first I wasn't sure about the painted hair, but it doesn't really bother me. should I call her Rosie? I also like the name Jemma for her.



With that hair style, Drew is giving me Generation Girl Tori vibes. 





I also have a new spattered paint background, this time in grey. I wanted something that was quite neutral and muted, but that had some texture on it. I used a light grey for the background and a darker one for the accents. I got the medium gray by mixing both colors. 



It's not as cool as the colorful one, but it looks more interesting than a flat background. 



For some reason, it reminded me of a photostory that came on a Barbie album that I had as a child. The walls of the buildings had like a dotted texture on them. And guess what? I found some pics of the album here and here. The images are quite poor quality, but that's the photostory that I remember. 

Overall, I'm quite happy with this ladies. Some of the new Fashionistas are really interesting and fun, but I think they release too many of them. I used to buy them like lottery cards, but now I'm trying to stick to the ones that really speak to me. I'm quite interested in the one with a prosthetic leg, but I last time I checked she was still quite pricey.



From other doll lines, I haven't seen anything that really interests me. Mattel is launching a new line called Wild Hearts Crew, which I find cute, but I'm not super crazy about them. And since they are only avaliable in the USA, they're not worth the extra effort and 20$ shipping for me. You can see images of this dolls on Instagram, and read Barb's opinion here. To me it feels a little bit like Mattel tried to mix some concepts to create and bold and edgy line. And I'm happy to see something new, and I really appreciate the diverse bodies and the articulation. I don't want to sound negative, I just think they could have done a Barbie spin off line (like Generation Girls or So In Style) with that concept and with Made To Move bodies. So there you have my two cents on that. 

Also, you may have noticed that I've changed the theme of the blog. I'm not fully convinced yet, so that's why I haven't customized it. I don't know, maybe it's because I was so used to the old one, that this one feels weird. The phone version looks prettier than the older one. Tell me what you think in the comment section down below. 



That's all for me today. I hope you have a great week and I also wish all my readers from USA a happy 4th of July. I'm planning to do a quick background tutorial for my next post. Hope I will find time for that.  Take care.

M.C.

Follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

  1. Hi MC!
    Out of the two, Love appeals to me the most. Unlike yourself, I really like her hairstyle as I think it suits her face beautifully. I'm not at all fond of the top which looks much too sloppy/large on her. To me she has a load of potential and I would love to see her in completely different clothes, perhaps something soft and floaty.

    A good post, I really enjoyed it, along with all the photos with different backgrounds. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! Thanks for your lovely comment. I agree, the top looks sloppy, but I got her because of her face, so I don't really care about it. I have some fashions to open, so I may do like a "Fashion Galore" type of post soon. I'm glad you like the new backgrounds, I wanted to do something different, to make the post more interesting.
      Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  2. The sweatshirt dresses that some of the Fashionistas have (I recently picked up one with a different style, but same kind of thing) really are disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. Some of the outfits this dolls wear are quite terrible. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I like the name Rosie. And I think I'd forgotten that Love had the Teresa headmold. I love that sculpt, but I don't need another doll to try to rebody. Chaundra at Desperately Seeking Dolls dressed her Violaine Perrin in the Love sweatshirt with some thigh-high boots and new accessories (the sweatshirt pic is all the way down at the bottom), and I think she looks good, but it is an IT doll, and not an off-the-shelf Barbie, after all.

    Thank you for the link! I did see *one* Wild Hearts Crew doll at Walmart today, and I really thought hard about buying her, but I'm not sure her body will match any doll that I own, and she's also the one that comes wearing roller skates. So if she can't wear shoes of any other Barbies already out, I'd have to buy a WHC fashion pack to get her shoes. I probably would have bought a new fashion pack if those were out. I definitely do want to buy something from that line soon and do a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I've checked those photos out, and it looks so much stylish on that doll that on this Barbie. On Love, it just looks lazy.
      Even thought there's a chance I'll never get to buy the Wild Hearts Crew dolls in my country, I would love to see your review on it. I have a feeling they use bodies similar to the DC Super Hero Girls. I do see your point about not fitting Barbie clothes, so that's why I think that a Barbie spin off line could be a great idea.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Barb- I saw a review on YouTube - the roller skates on the doll are removable in the sense that the wheels come off and then she is just wearing a pair of what look like sneakers.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for letting us know Eseme!

      Delete
  4. These two dollies do look fancy and lovely! I like them both, but I have Rosie as a favourite. She is stylish in her romper!
    Great backgrounds and with just some simple things you can spice up the photos! Enjoyed this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DollsDolour! I'm glad you enjoyed this post. Since I'm not the most skilled crafter or photographer, I try to "upgrade" my dolly pics with those simple elements. And, despite how much I love the Teresa head sculpt, I also think Rosie is my favourite.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Love this post 💖 and Thank you for reminding me that I do have the Romper fashionista that needs an articulated body, and I think a repaint because I do remember loving her face, so pretty, but I want my dolls to look like my own repainted ones 😊 I like the muted backgrounds with tiny paint splats ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shasha! I really like her face, specially her nose and her lips, and I'm curious to see how she looks once you've repainted her. I'm thinking of doing more splattered paint backgrounds, but with different color stories. Maybe I should do one in beige. Thanks for your lovely comment, I'm glad you enjoyed my post.
      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson