Photo compilation: November-December 2020 (plus 2020 recap)

Happy New Year! Hope you all had a nice and safe holidays and a good start to the year. I don't want to get excited too early, because 2020 started quite well and in March things started going downhill. So, yeah, I'll wait a few months to start thinking that this is going to be my year. 

For my first post of 2021, I want to do a photo compilation and a 2020 recap, all in one. Hopefully, I'll manage to stick to a plan and this post won't be all over the place. Let's start.

As you guys may already know, back in mid February I moved home. We had been wanting to move home for years, and it finally happened. The new house has some pros and some cons compared to the old house, one of the pros being much better natural light for doll photography and in general. Lately, I've been taking some doll pics in one of my balconies, using my own plants as props. It's an easy way to get an outdoorsy feel when you can't/don't want to go outside. These were taken at some point in mid-November.


Chloe
Rosie

Fun fact: in the old house we had a small patio, but I never took advantage of it, except when I took the pool photos. To be fair, it wasn't in very good condition, and we didn't plan to fix it since we knew we were leaving. 

Blake

Skylar

Generation Girls Nichelle

I also wanted to experiment taking a few in black and white. I took them using the black and white mode on my phone, instead of taking them in color and then editing them. That way, you can see how they will look in real time.

Asha in black and white

Lea

Victoria

One thing I got to do in 2020 are my photo backgrounds. In 2019, I started exploring ideas to use as a photo background in order to make my photos more interesting. In September 2019 I came up with this idea of using binding cardboard to make my scenes, but I was in school and didn't have time. Then, I was busy moving home and, on top of that, the whole pandemic happened, and I didn't manage to buy any craft supplies. So, I didn't get to start this project until July 2020. You can check out the first post on the series here

Victoria and Asha in True Blue

This color is the shade True Blue, by Americana Acrylics. I absolutely love this shade, it looks so vibrant, and it suits most of my dolls. By the way, these photos were taken for an Instagram event called #monday4dolls. The theme that week was jackets and coats. 



For these photos I used the same background, but added a sink mat in a light blue color. I've already used that a couple of times, like here. I'm not crazy about it, I just wanted to try something different. 



These photos were taken with my old phone, so I wonder if I would get a better effect with my new phone that has a better camera. 


I started my whole backgrounds projects wanting to make bold and color blocked backgrounds, but at some point I started moving into colors and ideas that could look more realistic. Now, most of the ideas I have are for realistic looking walls and backgrounds, like the one I used for my Christmas photos. I took these after I had published my last post. I kept the background the same, just invited more dolls over. 

Skylar


Kim and Rosie feeling festive

Blake


Overall, I'm quite happy with the backgrounds I made. I had an idea for 3 posts in the Mix'n'Match series and I managed to write two, which is not bad. I hope I can make part 3 in 2021, as well as other background ideas that I have in mind. 

Courtney





Another thing I wanted to practice in 2020 was my outdoor photography and, well, I didn't have the chance to do so until June. As some of you may know, I don't feel super confident when it comes to take photos of my dolls in public. However, my sister-in-law was spending her summer in a big house that had a garden and a pool, which allowed me to take some outdoor photos with some privacy. This was such a blessing, and I manage to take so many photos that I still have some that I haven't even published. One of them was this pic of my vitiligo doll.





Back in early October, I felt the tick to take some doll pics outside, and we decided to go to the same place we went in 2019. So, we decided to go one afternoon that Mr. Monster came early from work. Unfortunately, a few days before, they changed the opening hours, and we arrived less than an hour before closing time. This already added to the stress of taking pics in public, even though I already had my "It's a marketing project for college" excuse prepared. On top of that, my old phone started acting funny and wouldn't focus on the dolls' faces. This two were the only photos I was happy with. 




On Instagram, I asked for ideas for photos and Barb suggested I could take some fall outdoor photos in my area, since it will probably look very different from how fall looks in other areas of the world. Where I live, I don't have many outdoor areas I can easily go by walking, except for the area you see above. We don't have big parks, or a lake area, but we have a beach. When I got a new phone, I took a few "landscape" photos, mostly of the beach. So, I decided I could share a few to wrap up this post. 



Overall, I'm quite happy with what I have achieved in 2020. I know that, overall, 2020 has been a terrible year, and that many people have been affected by the pandemic. However, despite that, it hasn't been that bad of a year for me. I've managed to move home, which I had been wanting to do for so long, and I'm graduating from college after 8 years of hard work. I've also been working on my mental health, and I'm in a better headspace now. In other words, if I could take "pandemic" out of the equation, I would say it's been a good year. 



When it comes to the blog, it's been a good year. Overall, I'm really happy with the content I've created in 2020 and the response. I've managed to make quite a few of the projects on my "To do" list, plus a few I've decided to make along the way. In past years, I've managed to make 1 or 2 of those projects, and the rest have fallen into oblivion. I'm also quite happy to have gained a few new readers during a time when blogs aren't as popular anymore. 

For 2021, I have a few projects planned. I want to make more doll furniture, so you can expect some tutorials coming soon. Of course, I will keep making walls and wainscots, in fact I have one wainscot started since who knows when. I want to make at least 2 new floor designs, one with a marble effect and the other one I haven't decided, but probably concrete effect. I would also love to do a wooden floor, but I don't think I'll manage to do so many projects, so we'll leave that for 2022. I would also love to start sewing. I know, I know, I've been saying that for the past 5 years, but one of the furniture pieces I want to make is a daybed, so I guess I should at least make some pillows. Hopefully, 2021 will be the year the stars align, and I can finally start sewing. 



I hope you are all doing well and that you had an amazing Christmas time. I still have a couple more weeks of college, and then I will be free until...I find a job, which will be difficult considering the situation. I'm not sure when my next post will be or what will it be about. On January 5th we celebrate the Three Wise Men night, and it's when we get the majority of our gifts. I've asked for a few craft supplies and hopefully they've listened to me. Depending on what I get, my next post will either be a "What I got for Christmas" or a craft tutorial. 

Wish you all a happy 2021. 

Monster Crafts



Let's keep in touch:

Instagram       Facebook       Twitter



Similar posts:



Comments

  1. Well you achieved quite a lot over the course of the year MC, and shared some great tutorials. so you should be pretty pleased and proud of yourself. :) I really enjoyed all the photos of your dolls and no matter what your next post is going to be, I'll be by to read it. :)
    Have a wonderful "Three Wise Men" night, I hope you receive all you've wished for.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xanadu! I am, indeed, quite proud of myself. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy my photos. Thank you so much for being such a loyal reader, you comment on every single one of my posts.

      It will be a different "Three Wise Men" night for us, due to the pandemic restrictions, but I'm really looking forward to see if I got some new colors for walls and furniture.

      Thanks for stopping by. Big hugs to you too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda! I do have a couple ideas in mind, so I hope nothing goes wrong and I get to execute most, if not all of them. I'm glad you like my photos. To me, they're far from perfect, but I do see some improvement from past years.
    Actually, last summer we planned to go to a fabric store in a town nearby, but it turned out that the worst corona outbreak was located in that town. We got scared and didn't go, so therefore I didn't start sewing.
    Hope you have a great rest of the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MC,
    Great recap! I have really enjoyed seeing your doll photography evolve and I'm glad we are also connected on IG as that is where I spend most of my time lately! I also keep hoping to learn to sew, so you are not alone there! I agree, though, I feel lucky that this pandemic has not affected me too horribly either. I know it has really been awful for a lot of people, but I am grateful that I have a wonderful job that was already work from home and that we live in a rural area that wasn't too infected with COVID. It is nice to be young and healthy and not have as much fear of what would happen even if I did get COVID as well.
    I hope you reach all of your goals this year and I'll be looking forward to your blog posts and photos. I'm hoping to try to blog more as well. :)
    Best wishes for a wonderful new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farrah! Thank you, I'm glad that you see some improvement. I also spend a lot of time on Instagram, that seems to be more succesful than blogs. I started there trying to promote my blog, but I barely get any traffic from there. It's a lot of work to try to create content for both platforms, but I'll keep doing it while I still have spare time.

      I'm glad to hear that you have not been affected and that you get to work from home. My perfect job would be one that I could do from home, at least partially.
      Thank you so much for your kind words. Hopefully, if I don't reach my goals at least I will have fun trying to do so.

      Wish you too a wonderful new year.

      Delete
  4. It was a rather good year, if you do not take the pandemic in the consideration. I think that you have done well, with all the happenings around and I really like the different backgrounds you use in your doll photos. It is inspirational for me and I just hope that this year I get some more time with my dolls. I have been missing it a lot and sometimes I even wonder how I got time over for them before. Need to breathe and plan. I love the photos you take and your dolls. They all look so natural and pretty, so I enjoy just looking at them. Then you have those small and happy projects that you share, they make me glad.
    I wish you the best for 2021 and let us take small steps into the new year, just for the safety of it.
    Enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niina! Thanks, I'm so glad to hear that you find my blog posts inspiring. If it makes you feel better, I sometimes wonder how other people who have full time jobs find time in the day to take so many photos, build dioramas and post every week. Seriously, I wonder where does time go, and I also should organize myself better.

      I also wish you the best for 2021. Hope you get to find more time to spend with your dolls and doing the things you love. I miss seing more from you, I think you have such a cool aesthetic.

      You too, have a nice new week.

      Delete
  5. I wish you lots of productive doll time for 2021! I also want to work on doll furniture, since I want to create some permanent doll spaces. Your photos are all great, but I like your beach photos a lot. My beach looks very different from yours right now!

    Espero que los Tres Reyes te regalan todos que quieres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb! I would also love to build permanent spaces, but I don't have space to storage them, so that's why I make scenes the way I do. I'm glad you like the photos, the sky looked amazing that particular day.
      Gracias, I hope they do!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like, in spite of the challenges of the year, 2020 was pretty good to you! These photos were really great and creative. I so enjoy seeing blog posts from you. I still have not quite kept up very well with postings. I am also on IG, but I find it more difficult to post there because I am more of a big screen editor, not so much for posting on my phone. If only they made it easier to post to IG from your computer! Even though I haven't posted much, my doll collection has grown exponentially and I know I need to photograph more. Here's to a better 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis, I'm glad you like them. I know that sometimes it's hard to find motivation to post. In my case, I think I'm more motivated because, for a long time, I had ideas for posts and wanted to write about them, but just didn't have time. Now that I have plenty of time I want to make the most of it. I also do wish that it was easier to post on Instagram from your computer. There are apps and platforms that allow you to do so, but it's not that easy and often it requires you to have another app on your phone.

      I hope you have a great 2021 and that you find the motivation to start posting again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll Review: Kjersti Trollson