Fashion Galore

Hi everyone!
You may have noticed that I haven't posted in a week, but I have been working on a Youtube video and, since my photo table and craft table are the same, I haven't been able to take photos of my dolls. Also, Mr. Monster and I have been busy in other life stuff, and since I need him to help me with the video, we haven't been able to work on it as much as I wanted to. It's quite a simple craft video, but I hope I can upload it by next week. 


Today, instead of doing a doll review, I'd love to showcase some of the Barbie fashion packs that have been sitting in my doll room for several months. Since I'm quite new to Barbie collecting, I don't have many Barbie fashions, so I'm keeping an eye on getting as many as I can.

The first fashion pack is a casual set that includes a boho look and a white dress. I got it when it went on sale on Amazon.



For the first look, I've chosen Chloe (a.k.a rebodied "Donut top") to model it. The style doesn't quite suit her, and also the pants look to baggy on the hips area.  I don't know what's wrong with Barbie pants, but all the ones that I have seem to have the same problem. I like the top though.



The shoes are nice, but I think they've chosen the wrong color for them.


It also comes with a pink backpack. The backpack is nice, but the pink makes it lack of realism. 


The second look is the white lacey dress and I've chosen the MTM redhead (who is probably going to be named Kristen) to model it. Since the shoes in the fashion pack don't suit this outfit, I've chosen "Donut top" shoes for her to wear.


The dress kind of look like a Sorority recruitment dress. It's quite nice and I'd love to combine it with something less romantic, like a jean jacket.


The second fashion pack is a casual pack that includes a pink dress and tribal leggins with a jean shirt.


Asha is going to model the two piece outfit. When I was taking photos of her, I thought I should have switched her with Chloe, as yellow suits Asha better and blue suits Chloe. I'm not super thrilled about this outfit. The shirt is nice, but the leggins are to baggy to be called leggins and look on the doll like pijamas. 



Also, the jean shirt isn't cut properly, but you don't notice it when it's closed.


The shoes are pretty cool and very versatile. I love the little buckle detail.


The bag design is quite nice aswell, but again, it could use some repainting.


For the second look, I've chosen Miranda (a.k.a. "Ice Cream Romper") to model it. It's a pink sleveless dress with a turtle neck. The shoulders-neck part fabric is a little bit gathered together. The shoes she's wearing are actually Grace's.


The set also comes with a brown belt that I feel it suits better this outfit than the other one. 


 And the final set is a party pack with a silver dress and a glittery top combined with a black skirt.


 Victoria (a.k.a rebodied "L.A Girl") is going to model the dress.  It's a very disco looking silver dress with a geometric pattern on it. I don't remember where I got the studded black shoes she's wearing.


It comes with a turquoise necklace that matches the sewing of the dress neckline.


For the two piece outfit I've chosen Lea. I like the general design of this outfit, but the top is a little bit too tight for a MTM body, and also the skirt feels quite stiff. 


The shoes in this fashion pack are very nice black ballerinas that will go with tons of other outfits.


It also comes with a padded black purse that looks quite realistic.



In general, I'm a little bit dissapointed with the quality of this outfits, but some of them look good on camera.  However I think that Mattel could not just improve the quality, but make sure that the clothes actually FIT the dolls and don't look too big or too small. Despite that, I want to get the Barbie and the Rockers set and one of the latest ones with a boho style and a tribal patterned dress.

What do you guys think of the fashions? Have you got the latest ones?

M.C.

Comments

  1. Visually, I really like the outfits, but as you say, quality is always an issue with Mattel packs.

    Fashionista's and SIS dolls used to be VERY hippy and I don't think they've modified their patterns any to accommodate the new narrower dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muff! What do you mean by "narrower"? Are the dolls now slimmer than before?

      Delete
    2. Slightly slimmer but only in the hips.

      Delete
  2. I think I like Asha's outfit the best, but I have to agree that they don't look quite as good on the dolls as you think they would. I think the last fashion pack was probably the best. I love to collect clothes as when you look back you can see the "fashions" of that time. It's so funny to go through all of my old 80s Barbie clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Farrah Lily! I do agree, the last one is the best! I agree about the fashion thing! When I look at the Generation Girl looks I think they look very "early 2000", but when I got them I just though they were super trendy.

      Delete
  3. I agree that a jean jacket would look great with that dress. There was a fashion pack that I was on the fence about until I saw that it is made for the curvy body. Now I think that I need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it really made for the curvy one? It fits the MTM lady just fine! Some people pointed out that there were a couple of fashion packs that fitted the new bodies, but there was clue about it on the packaging. I'll try it on one of my curvy ladies.

      Delete
    2. No, I'm sorry, I was talking about a different fashion pack that I saw. Of course, now that I looked for it online, it doesn't seem to be for the curvy dolls at all. I'm sure I saw it on somebody's blog marked for the curvy doll, but I can't remember where.

      Delete
  4. Those tribal leggings are a good fit for the Curvy bodies. While these fashion packs are not specifically made for any body type, there are some pieces that fit the Curvy girls better. They are now making multiple sets of the same outfits each sized differently for the body types, but I have not been able to find them anywhere locally. They sell them on Amazon, but at a very premium price! Mattel.com has some of them, but they only have them in the original sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis! I haven't seen them either, but here we get things way later than in USA. Thanks for your advice, I'll try those leggins on some of my curvy dolls.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

The return of Monster High

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)